Fletcher's trolley apparatus - maximum value of coefficient

In summary, the conversation is about a Fletcher's trolley apparatus set up with a block of wood and a suspended mass. The first part of the question asks to calculate the acceleration and tension when the mass is released. The equation to find the acceleration is given and the second part of the question asks about the maximum value of the coefficient of friction that will allow the system to move. The conversation also includes a discussion about how to find this value, with the formula for acceleration in terms of μ being provided. It is noted that as μ increases, a will also increase but could become negative.
aeromat

Homework Statement

A Fletcher's trolley apparatus is set up with a block of wood of mass 4.0kg and a suspended mass of 2.0kg.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Calculate the acceleration of the sys. and the tension in the string when the mass is released.

m1
FnetX = [T - Ff = m1(a)]
FnetY = [Fn - Fg = 0]

m2
No FnetX
FnetY = [T - Fg = -m2(a)]

Equation to find the acceleration in this situation:
[tex]a = \frac{Fg - Ff}{mass1 + mass2}[/tex]

The second part of the question is:
b) What is the max. value of the coefficient of friction that will allow the sys. to move?

I am stuck as to how to find this out.
I know:

[tex]Ff = μFn[/tex]
[tex]Ff = μ(mass1)(g)[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Express the acceleration in terms of μ. (Replace Fg and Ff with what they equal.)

That will give me the following:
[tex]a = [\frac{(mass2)(g) - μ(mass1)(g)}{(mass1 + mass2)}][/tex]
But then I have a, which I have nothing to sub in for.

aeromat said:
That will give me the following:
[tex]a = [\frac{(mass2)(g) - μ(mass1)(g)}{(mass1 + mass2)}][/tex]
That's good.
But then I have a, which I have nothing to sub in for.
As μ increases, what happens to a?

a increases, but will become negative.. a is proportional to μ ...

aeromat said:
a increases, but will become negative..
Have another look at the formula. (And if something increases, how can it become negative?)
a is proportional to μ ...
Not exactly.

1. What is Fletcher's trolley apparatus and how does it work?

Fletcher's trolley apparatus is a simple laboratory device used to demonstrate the concept of coefficient of friction. It consists of a trolley with a mass attached to it, which is pulled along a horizontal surface with a string. The frictional force acting on the trolley is measured by adjusting the angle of the string until the trolley moves at a constant velocity.

2. What is the maximum value of the coefficient of friction that can be measured with Fletcher's trolley apparatus?

The maximum value of the coefficient of friction that can be measured with Fletcher's trolley apparatus is 1. This is because the trolley can only move at a constant velocity when the frictional force is equal to the force applied by the string, which is the maximum possible frictional force.

3. How is the coefficient of friction calculated using Fletcher's trolley apparatus?

The coefficient of friction is calculated by dividing the frictional force by the normal force. In the case of Fletcher's trolley apparatus, the normal force is equal to the weight of the trolley and the frictional force is equal to the force applied by the string. So the coefficient of friction can be calculated by dividing the force applied by the string by the weight of the trolley.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of the coefficient of friction measured with Fletcher's trolley apparatus?

The accuracy of the coefficient of friction measured with Fletcher's trolley apparatus can be affected by various factors such as the type of surface the trolley is pulled on, the mass of the trolley, the angle of the string, and any external forces acting on the trolley.

5. How does Fletcher's trolley apparatus help in understanding the concept of coefficient of friction?

Fletcher's trolley apparatus helps in understanding the concept of coefficient of friction by providing a simple and visual way to measure and observe the effect of friction on an object. By adjusting the angle of the string and measuring the corresponding frictional force, one can see how the coefficient of friction varies with different surfaces and conditions.