Flux Integral Evaluation Problem: Check My Workings and Get Advice

In summary, the OP has to evaluate a flux integral and gets 0. He asks for someone to check his work and give him advice. He includes an image of his work with handwritten equations and asks if the third component of his flux vector is a ##z## or ##2##. He also has some mathematical issues. He parametrizes the surface and finds that the region given by the plane z = 1-x^2-y^2 for 0 \leq z \leq 1 is the given region. He plots the plane for the points (x,0,0), (0,y,0), and (0,0,z) and finds the limits easily. In summary, the OP has
Mathn00b!

Homework Statement

Hello,
So I've got to evaluate a flux integral, but I get 0. Could someone please, check my workings and give me advice.
Please find my workings and the problem attached here as an image.
Thank you very much!

flux%20integral_zpsq1b9chvp.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
I will give you that your handwriting is pretty nice. Still it would be better to type your work. Is that third component of your flux vector a ##z## or a ##2##? Some mathematical issues are: Is your normal directed upward like it is supposed to be? In fact, is it even a vector? That's another reason to type your question, so we can edit it. Also you can't say ##x^2+y^2=1## for the normal. That is only true on the boundary of the surface but not on the surface itself. And check your partial derivatives.

You can parametrize the surface if you want, let:

$$\vec r(x, y) = x \hat i + y \hat j + z \hat k = x \hat i + y \hat j + (1 - x^2 - y^2) \hat k$$

Find ##\vec r_x(x, y)## and ##\vec r_y(x, y)##. Use those to obtain ##\vec r_x \times \vec r_y##. Now you have a theorem which states:

$$\iint_S \vec F(x, y, z) \cdot d \vec S = \iint_D \vec F(\vec r(x,y)) \cdot (\vec r_x \times \vec r_y) \space dA$$

Where the region ##D## is given by the plane ##z = 1 - x^2 - y^2## for ##0 \leq z \leq 1##.

Plotting the plane for the points ##(x, 0, 0), (0, y, 0)##, and ##(0, 0, z)## will give you the limits easily, and a nice graph to look at.

Zondrina said:

$$\vec r(x, y) = x \hat i + y \hat j + z \hat k = x \hat i + y \hat j + (1 - x^2 - y^2) \hat k$$

Find ##\vec r_x(x, y)## and ##\vec r_y(x, y)##. Use those to obtain ##\vec r_x \times \vec r_y##. Now you have a theorem which states:

$$\iint_S \vec F(x, y, z) \cdot d \vec S = \color{red}{\pm}\iint_D \vec F(\vec r(x,y)) \cdot (\vec r_x \times \vec r_y) \space dA$$

Where the region ##D## is given by the plane ##z = 1 - x^2 - y^2## for ##0 \leq z \leq 1##.

Plotting the plane for the points ##(x, 0, 0), (0, y, 0)##, and ##(0, 0, z)## will give you the limits easily, and a nice graph to look at.

The ##\pm## sign is necessary because one has to decide whether ##\vec r_x \times \vec r_y## points in the required direction to agree with the given orientation. The OP didn't check that.

Got confused..

g = x2 + y2 + z -1 = 0
n = [itex]\frac{ \nabla g}{|\nabla g|}[/itex]
n =[itex] \frac{ 2x+2y+1}{\sqrt{2x^2+2y^2+1^2}}[/itex]
and dS =[itex]\sqrt{2x^2+2y^2+1^2}[/itex] dxdy
?

Last edited:
Mathn00b said:
g = x2 + y2 + z -1 = 0
n = [itex]\frac{ \nabla g}{|\nabla g|}[/itex]
n =[itex] \frac{ 2x+2y+1}{\sqrt{2x2+2y2 + 12}}[/itex]
This last is wrong. n is a vector not a scalar. What is [itex]\nabla g[/itex]?

g(x,y,z) = z - f(x,y) = 0 according to my lecture notes.
I tried out the latex output, since the preview didn't work out. I've made other edits.
I am quite confused, I solved other questions using the method with g, but this one, don't know if it should be solved with rdrdθ or just dxdy . The confusing thing is that here I have z = 1-x2-y2

Last edited:
Zondrina said:

$$\iint_S \vec F(x, y, z) \cdot d \vec S = \iint_D \vec F(\vec r(x,y)) \cdot (\vec r_x \times \vec r_y) \space dA$$

Hello, I've got exam on the same things, so please give some feedback on my workings

This surface is the graph of the function [itex]f(x,y) = 1-x^2-y^2 \mbox{ for } x^2+y^2 <= 1[/itex], so use the graph parametrization
[itex] X(x,y) = (y,x, 1 - x^2 - y^2).[/itex]
We shall use the following (very important!) general formula for the upward normal of a surface defined by an equation of the form [itex] z = f(x,y):[/itex]
[itex]N(x,y)=(-f1, -f2,1)[/itex]

For the surface of interest here, it follows that:
[itex]N(x,y) = (-(-2x),-(-2y),1) [/itex]

And we have [itex]F(X(x,y)) = (y,x,1-x^2-y^2)[/itex]

So [itex]F \cdot N = 2xy+2xy+1-x^2 - y^2 [/itex]

So we have [itex]\ \int_0^{2\pi} \int_0^1 (4cos( \theta )sin( \theta ) + 1 - r^2) rdrd \theta [/itex]

Sorry for that a bit earlier where I mentioned ##z = 1 - x^2 - y^2## is a plane, it's a paraboloid.

As for the actual question, I worked it out to be:
IMG_0576.jpg

Sorry for the squeeze near the bottom I was writing a bit too quickly and it got cut off.

Zondrina said:
Sorry for that a bit earlier where I mentioned ##z = 1 - x^2 - y^2## is a plane, it's a paraboloid.

As for the actual question, I worked it out to be:View attachment 83290

Sorry for the squeeze near the bottom I was writing a bit too quickly and it got cut off.
Yeah, I got the same, I just played it smart, but I think your solution is correct. I substituted r = x + y in the integral ## 1 - x^2 - y^2## with ## 1 - ( x^2 + y^2)## to get ## 1 - r^2## and also for x and y since r = 1 I think I saw somewhere to replace ##rcos( \theta ) ## with ## 1cos( \theta )##
Otherwise your should be the correct one.

1. What is a flux integral problem?

A flux integral problem is a mathematical problem that involves calculating the flux, or flow, of a vector field across a given surface. This type of problem is commonly encountered in the study of electromagnetism and fluid dynamics.

2. How is a flux integral problem solved?

A flux integral problem is typically solved by setting up an integral that represents the flux of the vector field over the given surface. This integral can then be evaluated using various techniques, such as Green's theorem or the divergence theorem.

3. What is the significance of a flux integral problem in science?

Flux integral problems have many practical applications in science, particularly in the fields of physics and engineering. They can be used to analyze the flow of electric or magnetic fields, as well as the flow of fluids in various systems.

4. What are some common challenges in solving flux integral problems?

Some common challenges in solving flux integral problems include determining the appropriate surface and vector field to use, setting up the integral correctly, and evaluating the integral using the appropriate techniques.

5. Are there any real-world examples of flux integral problems?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of flux integral problems. For instance, in fluid dynamics, flux integrals can be used to calculate the flow of air or water through a pipe or over an object. In electromagnetism, flux integrals are used to analyze the flow of electric and magnetic fields in various systems, such as circuits and motors.