Force and work on a shopping cart

In summary: I made a mistake. The correct work done by the shopper on the cart is 1610 J.In summary, the shopper in the supermarket pushes a cart with a force of 35.0 N directed at an angle of 28.0° downward from the horizontal. The work done by the shopper on the cart as he moves down an aisle 46.0 m long is 1610 J.
aaronb

Homework Statement

A shopper in a supermarket pushes a cart with a force of 35.0 N directed at an angle of 28.0° downward from the horizontal. Find the work done by the shopper on the cart as he moves down an aisle 46.0 m long.

What's going on?

Homework Equations

W = Force * displacement

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the formula above to get
F=35(cos(28))46= 1610

I don't know how else to approach the problem

Attachments

• physicshw6#9.jpg
    physicshw6#9.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 490
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

I think your answer is correct. The vertical component of the force pushes the cart into the floor but there is no movement in that direction so it doesn't do any work. Only the 35*cos(28) component does work as you wrote.

According to my homework website, I'm wrong from 10%-100%. =(

Maybe they are wrong?

It happens.

Hi aaronb,

aaronb said:

Homework Statement

A shopper in a supermarket pushes a cart with a force of 35.0 N directed at an angle of 28.0° downward from the horizontal. Find the work done by the shopper on the cart as he moves down an aisle 46.0 m long.

What's going on?

Homework Equations

W = Force * displacement

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the formula above to get
F=35(cos(28))46= 1610

I believe you are making a calculator error here. When you did the calculation, you left out the trig function, because 35 x 46=1610.

You're right!

1. What is the relationship between force and work on a shopping cart?

The relationship between force and work on a shopping cart is that force is the amount of energy or strength used to push or pull the shopping cart, while work is the result of that force being applied over a distance.

2. How does the weight of items in a shopping cart affect the amount of force needed to push it?

The weight of items in a shopping cart directly affects the amount of force needed to push it. The heavier the items, the more force is needed to overcome the weight and move the cart.

3. Is it possible to reduce the amount of force needed to push a shopping cart?

Yes, it is possible to reduce the amount of force needed to push a shopping cart by reducing the weight of the items in the cart or by using wheels and proper lubrication to decrease friction.

4. How does the angle of incline affect the force needed to push a shopping cart?

The angle of incline affects the force needed to push a shopping cart by increasing it. As the incline gets steeper, the force needed to push the cart increases to overcome the gravitational pull of the cart and its contents.

5. Can a shopping cart be considered a simple machine?

Yes, a shopping cart can be considered a simple machine. It uses wheels and an axle to reduce the amount of force needed to move heavy loads, making it a type of lever. The handle also acts as a lever, allowing for easy steering and maneuvering.