Fourier Cosine series of cos(x)

In summary, the conversation discusses the computation of cosine Fourier series for a given function and the behavior of the series when the interval is changed. It is noted that the function is exactly periodic on the new interval and the Fourier series has a coefficient for n=1, corresponding to cos(x). The conversation ends with a realization that more attention is needed for the n=1 term when the interval is changed.
sarahisme
Hello peoples,

I think this is a trick question... well sort of :P

http://img133.imageshack.us/img133/472/picture8ox1.png

for part (a) i get that the cosine Fourier Series for f(x) = cos(x) to be:

http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/6114/picture9sq2.png

i hope that is ok, but its part (b) that is troubling me...

is all that happens as http://img138.imageshack.us/img138/7436/picture10gf7.png is that the cosine Fourier series of cos(x) goes to 0?

i am guessing i am missing some trick to this question?

Cheers! :D

Sarah

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
When you let [itex]\alpha\to\pi[/itex] then the interval you're computing the Fourier series on becomes [itex][-\pi,\pi][/itex]. The original function you're given, [itex]\cos(x)[/itex] is exactly periodic on this interval, and so you should find that your Fourier series has only coefficient, for [itex]n=1[/itex], which corresponds to [itex]cos(x)[/itex].

jpr0 said:
When you let [itex]\alpha\to\pi[/itex] then the interval you're computing the Fourier series on becomes [itex][-\pi,\pi][/itex]. The original function you're given, [itex]\cos(x)[/itex] is exactly periodic on this interval, and so you should find that your Fourier series has only coefficient, for [itex]n=1[/itex], which corresponds to [itex]cos(x)[/itex].

ah yep i see now. i need to be more careful with the n = 1 term when alpha = pi

thanks for the help! :D

Sarah

1. What is a Fourier Cosine series of cos(x)?

A Fourier Cosine series of cos(x) is a representation of a periodic function, cos(x), as a sum of cosine functions with different amplitudes and frequencies. It is a mathematical tool commonly used in signal processing and harmonic analysis.

2. How is a Fourier Cosine series of cos(x) different from a Fourier series of cos(x)?

A Fourier Cosine series of cos(x) only includes cosine functions, while a Fourier series of cos(x) includes both cosine and sine functions. This means that the Fourier Cosine series of cos(x) is an even function, while the Fourier series of cos(x) is an odd function.

3. What is the relationship between a Fourier Cosine series of cos(x) and the Fourier transform?

A Fourier Cosine series of cos(x) is a special case of the Fourier transform, where the function being transformed is a periodic function. This means that the Fourier coefficients in a Fourier Cosine series of cos(x) can be obtained by taking the Fourier transform of the periodic function cos(x).

4. Can a Fourier Cosine series of cos(x) be used to approximate any function?

No, a Fourier Cosine series of cos(x) can only be used to approximate even functions. For odd functions, a Fourier series that includes both cosine and sine functions is needed.

5. What are the applications of a Fourier Cosine series of cos(x)?

A Fourier Cosine series of cos(x) has many applications in engineering, physics, and other fields where periodic signals are encountered. It is commonly used in signal processing, circuit analysis, and solving partial differential equations, among others.