Full adder circuit using NAND v NOT, AND, OR v PLA logic

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a full adder circuit using NOT, AND, OR logic as well as NAND logic and a Programmable Logic Array (PLA). The speaker mentions the efficiency, cost, speed, and reliability of each design and questions whether using just one type of chip (NAND) offers any benefits over using various types of chips. They also mention targeting a specific PLA for the design.
Bourbon daddy
I have designed a full adder circuit, first of all implementing NOT, AND, OR logic, then redesigned NAND logic and finally Programmable Logic Array.

I would like to talk evaluate my designs a little and need a bit of help.

When using NOT, AND, OR gates I used the following;

NOT x 3 = 1 chip
AND x 11 = 3 chips
OR x 5 = 2 chips

Total 6 chips required

Using NAND Logic, I think I originally used 40 NAND gates, but reduced it to 26, so 7 chips would be required.

PLA:

NOT x 3 = 1 chip
AND x 7 = 2 chips
OR x 2 = 1 chip

Total 4 chips required.

Obviously, PLA offers the best solution for this scenario regarding efficiency, cost, speed and reliability.

I was wondering if using just one type of chip, such as the NAND offers any benefits to using various types of chip(NOT, AND and OR). If not, am I right in thinking that in this situation, using NAND logic offers no benefits to this circuit over NOT, AND, OR logic.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org
Bourbon daddy said:
I have designed a full adder circuit, first of all implementing NOT, AND, OR logic, then redesigned NAND logic and finally Programmable Logic Array.

I would like to talk evaluate my designs a little and need a bit of help.

When using NOT, AND, OR gates I used the following;

NOT x 3 = 1 chip
AND x 11 = 3 chips
OR x 5 = 2 chips

Total 6 chips required

Using NAND Logic, I think I originally used 40 NAND gates, but reduced it to 26, so 7 chips would be required.

PLA:

NOT x 3 = 1 chip
AND x 7 = 2 chips
OR x 2 = 1 chip

Total 4 chips required.

Obviously, PLA offers the best solution for this scenario regarding efficiency, cost, speed and reliability.

I was wondering if using just one type of chip, such as the NAND offers any benefits to using various types of chip(NOT, AND and OR). If not, am I right in thinking that in this situation, using NAND logic offers no benefits to this circuit over NOT, AND, OR logic.

Regards

Why is the PLA solution a multi-chip solution? You should be able to do it all in one PLA IC of some modest size. Which PLA did you target?

Related to Full adder circuit using NAND v NOT, AND, OR v PLA logic

1. What is a full adder circuit?

A full adder circuit is a digital logic circuit that is used to add two binary numbers together. It takes in three inputs - two single binary digits and a carry input - and produces two outputs - the sum of the two numbers and a carry output.

2. How does a full adder circuit using NAND, NOT, AND, OR, and PLA logic work?

A full adder circuit using these logic gates works by breaking down the addition process into smaller steps. First, the two binary digits are input into two NAND gates, which act as inverters. Then, the outputs of these gates are input into two AND gates, which check for the presence of both inputs. The carry input is also input into an AND gate, which checks for a carry from the previous addition. The outputs of the AND gates are then input into two OR gates, which combine the results to produce the sum and carry outputs.

3. What are the advantages of using a PLA in a full adder circuit?

PLA (Programmable Logic Array) is a type of logic device that allows for the creation of custom logic functions. This makes it highly versatile and efficient for use in a full adder circuit, as it can be programmed to perform the necessary logic operations without the need for multiple individual logic gates. This helps to reduce the size and complexity of the circuit, making it more compact and easier to design.

4. What are the limitations of using a full adder circuit with NAND, NOT, AND, OR, and PLA logic?

One limitation of using this type of full adder circuit is that it can be more complex to design and implement compared to other types of adder circuits. It also requires a larger number of logic gates, which can increase the overall cost of the circuit. Additionally, the use of PLA logic may also introduce additional delays in the circuit, leading to slower operation.

5. What are some practical applications of full adder circuits using NAND, NOT, AND, OR, and PLA logic?

Full adder circuits are commonly used in digital computers and other electronic devices to perform arithmetic operations, such as addition and subtraction. They are also used in data processing systems, calculators, and other applications that require high-speed arithmetic operations. Additionally, full adder circuits can also be used in other logic functions, such as multiplexers and demultiplexers.