1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Gas chamber problem

1. Dec 23, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a rectangular isolated(non-conducting) chamber as shown below. The chamber is divided into three compartments. The wall separating A and B has negligible mass, no friction and is conducting, while the wall separating B and C has negligible mass and friction and is non-conducting.

Initially each compartment has the same amount of air at temperature T, volume V and pressure P. Now compartment A is slowly heated through a heater such that the final volume of C becomes 49V. Now my question is that once equilibrium is attained can I assume that each compartment would have the same pressure? According to the answer given in my book the final pressure in A and C are the same however in B has different pressure. Is this possible?

2. Relevant equations
    PV=nRT

3. The attempt at a solution
    since at equilibrium there is to be no movement of walls hence pressure should be the same in all the three chambers

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 23, 2015 #2
    I don't see any figure. Did you forget to include it?

4. Dec 23, 2015 #3
    thermodynamics.png

5. Dec 23, 2015 #4
    There is a lot about this problem statement that doesn't make sense. If the total volume of the 3 chambers is 3V, how can the final volume of chamber C be 49V? Maybe the final volume of chamber C is supposed to be 0.49V? The final pressure in all 3 chambers has to be the same in order for mechanical equilibrium to prevail. If the wall separating A and B is frictionless, massless, and conducting, then, at final equilibrium, chambers A and B will be in exactly the same state of T, P, and V.

Chet

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted