Gauss Law

• Thread starter Rave Grrl
  • Start date
I used the formula (E * Area * cos(theta)) and got the wrong answer (.02529) and I really don't understand why. I need help

The square surface shown measures 4.0 mm on each side. It is immersed in a uniform electric field with magnitude E = 1930 N/C. The field lines make an angle of 35° with a normal to the surface, as shown. Take the normal to be "outward," as though the surface were one face of a box. Calculate the electric flux through the surface.

Answers and Replies

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
It looks correct (probably not the final #).U may have to check the units ([itex] \left(1\mbox{mm})\right)^{2}=10^{-6} \mbox{m}^{2} [/itex]...

Daniel.

HallsofIvy
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
35 degrees to the normal is 55 degrees to the surface. Did you try that?

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Halls,she needs the scalar product between the electric field vector and the normal to the surface,which make an angle of 35° between them...

Daniel.

I tried 55, and it didn't work.

Is electrical flux supposed to be negative? Thats all I can think of. I don't know if that's right.

dextercioby
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Depends on the sense of the electric field.If it enters the page or not.Your problem is pretty vague in this issue,because you haven't provided the drawing/picture.

Daniel.