Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: General Chemistry questions and kinetics

1. Sep 26, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The initial concentration of reactant in a first-order reaction is 0.75M. The rate constant for the reaction is 2.75/s. What is the concentration (mol/L) of reactant after 6.5s?

2. Relevant equations

-kt=[A]initial/[A]anytime

3. The attempt at a solution

-(2.75/s)(6.5s)=[0.75M]/[A]@6.5seconds

-17.875/1=0.75M/x; x= -4.20x10^-2; The answer to this problem is not right, but I do not have any idea how to go about it another way.

Problem 2.

The usefulness of radiocarbon dating is limited to 50,000 years. Show mathematically why this is true. (Hint: Remember half life follows first order kinetics. The half life of C-14 is 5.73 x 10^3 years).

Half life formula : t1/2= 0.693/k
    Common integrate rate law for first order reactions: ln[A]=-kt + ln[A@ initial]
    5.73x10^3 = 0.693/k, k = 1.21x10^-4/s

How would I use k in my integrated formula to prove that the half life is limited to 50,000 years?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 27, 2007 #2

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

#1. You have the wrong rate equation for a first-order reaction. Look at the rate equation you've used in #2. That's the one you need to use here.

#2. What is (roughly) the relative abundance of C-14 (w.r. to C-12) in the atmosphere? Assume you have a sample that has about 1kg of C. How much of that would have been C-14, when the organism was alive? How much of that C-14 will be present in the sample today (use the rate equation to find this)?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook