1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

General relativity, integration over a manifold exercise

1. Feb 6, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The problem I am facing is 2.9 in Sean Carroll's book on general relativity (Geometry and Spacetime) I should note that I am not studying this formally and so a full solution would not be unwelcome, though I understand that forum policy understandably prohibits it. The full problem is stated as

In Minkowski space, suppose that [tex]*F = q \sin{\theta} d\theta\wedge d\phi[/tex].

a.) Evaluate [tex]d*F=*J[/tex]
    b.) What is the two-form [tex]F[/tex] equal to?
    c.) What are the electric and magnetic fields equal to for this solution?
    d.) Evaluate [tex]\int_V d*F[/tex], where [tex]V[/tex] is a ball of radius [tex]R[/tex] in Euclidean three-space at a fixed moment of time.

2. Relevant equations

In the above the asterisk denotes the Hodge dual and the [tex]d[/tex] denotes the exterior derivative. The definitions of these operators should be well known.

3. The attempt at a solution

I think I have the first three parts solved. For each part a.) I arrived at the lengthy result of

[tex]
    \frac{1}{2}[\partial_\mu(*F)_{\mu\rho} - \partial_\nu(*F)_{\mu\rho} + \partial_\nu(*F)_{\rho\mu} - \partial_\rho(*F)_{\nu\rmu} + \partial_\rho(*F)_{\mu\nu} - \partial_\mu(*F)_{\rho\nu} = \epsilon^\sigma_{\mu\nu\rho}J_\sigma
    [/tex]

For part b.) I got (with the help of my TI-89) the two-form, in matrix form,

[tex]
    F = -(**F) = \left[
    \begin{array}{cccc}
    0 & \frac{q}{r^4 \sin{\theta}} & 0 & 0\\
    \frac{-q}{r^4 \sin{\theta}} & 0 & 0 &0\\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
    0 & 0 & 0 & 0
    \end{array}
    \right]
    [/tex]

and for c.) I arrived at, directly from part b.),

[tex]E_r = \frac{-q}{r^4 \sin{\theta}}[/tex]
    [tex]E_\theta = 0[/tex]
    [tex]E_\phi = 0[/tex]

[tex]B_\mu = 0[/tex]

For [tex]\mu=1,2,3[/tex].

Verification of these would be appreciated but I am especially confused about the last part d.). In particular the integrand is a three-form and I have no idea how to integrate this and how to transform the integral into a familiar volume integral that can be computed by standard multivariable calculus.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2010 #2
    This needs to be moved to the Special and General Relativity forum.

Perhaps there is will get some attention.

Thanks
    Matt

4. Feb 14, 2010 #3
    Thanks, I will try my luck over there.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook