General relativity, integration over a manifold exercise

In summary, the problem is to find the electric and magnetic fields for a solution in Minkowski space.
kyp4

Homework Statement

The problem I am facing is 2.9 in Sean Carroll's book on general relativity (Geometry and Spacetime) I should note that I am not studying this formally and so a full solution would not be unwelcome, though I understand that forum policy understandably prohibits it. The full problem is stated as

In Minkowski space, suppose that [tex]*F = q \sin{\theta} d\theta\wedge d\phi[/tex].

a.) Evaluate [tex]d*F=*J[/tex]
b.) What is the two-form [tex]F[/tex] equal to?
c.) What are the electric and magnetic fields equal to for this solution?
d.) Evaluate [tex]\int_V d*F[/tex], where [tex]V[/tex] is a ball of radius [tex]R[/tex] in Euclidean three-space at a fixed moment of time.

Homework Equations

In the above the asterisk denotes the Hodge dual and the [tex]d[/tex] denotes the exterior derivative. The definitions of these operators should be well known.

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I have the first three parts solved. For each part a.) I arrived at the lengthy result of

[tex]
\frac{1}{2}[\partial_\mu(*F)_{\mu\rho} - \partial_\nu(*F)_{\mu\rho} + \partial_\nu(*F)_{\rho\mu} - \partial_\rho(*F)_{\nu\rmu} + \partial_\rho(*F)_{\mu\nu} - \partial_\mu(*F)_{\rho\nu} = \epsilon^\sigma_{\mu\nu\rho}J_\sigma
[/tex]

For part b.) I got (with the help of my TI-89) the two-form, in matrix form,

[tex]
F = -(**F) = \left[
\begin{array}{cccc}
0 & \frac{q}{r^4 \sin{\theta}} & 0 & 0\\
\frac{-q}{r^4 \sin{\theta}} & 0 & 0 &0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0\\
0 & 0 & 0 & 0
\end{array}
\right]
[/tex]

and for c.) I arrived at, directly from part b.),

[tex]E_r = \frac{-q}{r^4 \sin{\theta}}[/tex]
[tex]E_\theta = 0[/tex]
[tex]E_\phi = 0[/tex]

[tex]B_\mu = 0[/tex]

For [tex]\mu=1,2,3[/tex].

Verification of these would be appreciated but I am especially confused about the last part d.). In particular the integrand is a three-form and I have no idea how to integrate this and how to transform the integral into a familiar volume integral that can be computed by standard multivariable calculus.

Physics news on Phys.org
This needs to be moved to the Special and General Relativity forum.

Perhaps there is will get some attention.

Thanks
Matt

Thanks, I will try my luck over there.

1. What is general relativity?

General relativity is a theory of gravitation that was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century. It describes how massive objects, such as planets and stars, affect the curvature of space and time, and how this curvature in turn affects the motion of objects.

2. What is a manifold?

A manifold is a mathematical concept that represents a space that is locally similar to Euclidean space. In general relativity, a manifold is used to represent the curvature of space and time caused by massive objects.

3. What is integration over a manifold?

Integration over a manifold is a mathematical process that involves calculating the area or volume of a curved surface or space. In general relativity, integration over a manifold is used to calculate the effect of gravity on the motion of objects.

4. How is general relativity used in practical applications?

General relativity has been used in a variety of practical applications, such as in the development of GPS systems and in the study of black holes. It has also been used to make predictions about the behavior of objects in the universe, which have been confirmed by observations.

5. Is general relativity still considered a valid theory?

Yes, general relativity is still considered a valid and widely accepted theory in the scientific community. It has been extensively tested and has been found to accurately describe the behavior of massive objects in space. However, it is also currently being studied and refined, as scientists continue to explore the nature of gravity and the universe.