What are the voltages generated from this current source?

zenterix
Homework Statement
The circuit shown below contains two nonlinear devices and a current source. The characteristics of the two devices are given. Determine the voltage ##v## for
Relevant Equations
(a) ##i_S=1##A, (b) ##i_S=10##A, (c) ##i_S=1\cos{t}##.
Here is the circuit and the v-i characteristics
1702630454250.png

KCL gives us ##i_S=i_1+i_2##.

Thus, (a) and (b) are solved quickly by noting that for ##v\in [0,1]## we have ##i_1+i_2=0## so ##v## can't be in this interval for a positive current.

If we try ##v\in [1,\infty)## then we get ##i_S=1+(-2+v)=v-1##.

Thus, ##i_S=1##A gives ##v=2##V and ##i_S=10##A gives ##v=11##V.

My question is about item (c) where ##i_S=\cos{(t)}##.

What I did was consider four different cases related to the possible value of ##v##. All I did in each case was consider the KCL equation in the context of a restriction on values of ##v##. Note that only cases 2 and 3 are relevant to the solution of (c).

Case 1: ##v\in [1,\infty)##

From the KCL equation, ##i_S=-1+v##, which graphically is

1702630726220.png

and we see that ##v## satisfies our constraint when ##i_S\geq 1##.

Case 2: ##v\in [0,1)##

Here we have simply ##i_S=0##.

Case 3: ##v\in [-1,0)##

Then, ##i_S=v##

Case 4: ##v \in (-\infty, -1)##

Then, ##i_S=-1##

Putting all of this together we have

1702631251429.png

We know that ##i_S## is a sinusoid that varies between -1 and 1. Thus, ##v## takes on values between -1 and 2.

It seems that

$$v(i_S)=\begin{cases} i_S+1,\ \ \ \ \ i_S\in (0,1) \\ i_S,\ \ \ \ \ i_S\in [-1,0] \end{cases}$$

$$v(t)=\begin{cases} \cos{(t)}+1,\ \ \ \ \ t\in (-\pi/2,\pi/2) \\ \cos{(t)},\ \ \ \ \ t\in (\pi/2,3\pi/2) \end{cases}$$

My question is what happens when ##i_S=0##?

Physics news on Phys.org
@berkeman What difference does it make if I write v-i characteristics rather than V-I characteristics that you edited my title?

Agarwal, "Foundations of Analog and Digital Circuits":
1702691623949.png

zenterix said:
@berkeman What difference does it make if I write v-i characteristics rather than V-I characteristics that you edited my title?
Good question. For stand-alone symbols, it's more common in my experience to use V and I. However if you are writing the time functions explicitly, then ##v(t)## ##i(t)## would probably be more appropriate. Remember that lowercase "i" or "j" is often used for complex exponents.

Likes zenterix and DaveE

1. What are the voltages generated from this current source?

The voltages generated from a current source depend on the resistance in the circuit. Ohm's Law states that voltage (V) is equal to current (I) multiplied by resistance (R). Therefore, the voltage generated can be calculated by multiplying the current output of the source by the resistance in the circuit.

2. How do I calculate the voltage from a current source?

To calculate the voltage generated by a current source, you need to know the current output of the source and the resistance in the circuit. Simply multiply the current by the resistance to find the voltage using Ohm's Law (V = I * R).

3. Can the voltage generated by a current source be negative?

Yes, the voltage generated by a current source can be negative. This can occur when the direction of the current flow is opposite to the direction of the voltage drop across a component in the circuit. In such cases, the voltage is considered negative.

4. What units are used to measure the voltage generated by a current source?

The voltage generated by a current source is typically measured in volts (V). This unit represents the electrical potential difference between two points in a circuit and is essential for determining the energy transfer in the system.

5. How does the voltage generated by a current source affect the overall circuit performance?

The voltage generated by a current source plays a crucial role in determining the performance of the circuit. It affects the power consumption, signal integrity, and overall functionality of the system. Understanding and managing the voltage generated is essential for optimizing the circuit design and ensuring its proper operation.