Hanging box - radius, length, mass, speed

In summary, the lunch box hangs at rest relative to the bus when the string makes an angle of 28.0^\circ with the vertical. The lunch box is also traveling in a circular path; what is the radius of the circle in which the lunch box is traveling?
mybrohshi5
Hanging box -- radius, length, mass, speed

Homework Statement

You are riding in a school bus. As the bus rounds a flat curve at constant speed, a lunch box with a mass of 0.490 kg suspended from the ceiling of the bus by a string of length 1.79 m is found to hang at rest relative to the bus when the string makes an angle of 28.0^\circ with the vertical. The point (on the ceiling of the school bus) to which the string is tied is traveling in a circle of radius 48.16 m.

The lunch box is also traveling in a circular path; what is the radius of the circle in which the lunch box is traveling?

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a little sketch.

a horizontal line (bus roof)

a vertical line starting in the middle of the horz line that goes down 1.79 m

then i drew a line at bottom of the vertical line to the right and labeled that (x)

i made a hypotenuse line that goes from the starting point on the vertical line to the end on the x line.

This made a right triangle. If the degree between the horizontal and the string is 28 degrees then the angle that is down by the 90 degree angle should be 28 degrees as well correct?

so to solve for x i did

Tan(28) = 1.79/x

x = 3.36m

i believe this will be the radius of the circle it is making but I am not sure.

Can anyone let me know if this is correct please :)

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org

If the string is 1.78m long then it should be the hypotenuse which is also 1.78m long, not the vertical line.

correct...

so is it more like

1.78cos(28) = x

x= 1.57 m? is that the radius?

Don't forget: the string makes an angle of 28.0^\circ with the vertical. In your work you decided to change that so it's 28 degrees to the horizontal for some reason. (I'm hoping I read the question correctly, this is my first time on the forum)

ahhh thank you i didnt even notice that. yeah it is with the vertical but i think i got it now.

I got 1.79*cos(62) = x

x = 0.840 m

that seems a little small does that look right for the radius of the circle that the lunch box is making?

It looks right to me!

Thank you.

Can you maybe help me out with the next part? it deals with tension and i think you have to involve the centrip. accel of the bus and I am just not sure what to do.

What is the tension in the string?

my online homework just said 0.84 m was wrong? hmmmm...

mybrohshi5 said:
my online homework just said 0.84 m was wrong? hmmmm...
What happened to the 48.16 m radius of the 'point on the ceiling' circle ?

what do you mean what happened to it? Do i have to include that radius that the bus is traveling into figure out the radius that the string is making?

I believe so

that doesn't make any sense to me? so is the question asking me to add the radius i just found to the radius of the circle that the bus is making?

AHHHH i hate mastering physics :(

Can anyone help me with this one? its my last one on this homework assignment and i can't figure it out :(

I need to find the radius that the string makes first and then i need to find the tension of the string and then a few other parts...

please help if anyone knows about this type of problem :)

thank you

So surely by now you know the radius. The tension in the string can be found by drawing a free body diagram of the box. Identify the forces, known and unknown, acting on it. Then apply Newton's laws to solve for T. When you apply Newton's law in the vertical direction, is the box accelerating in the vertical direction?

Yes i found the radius :)

So for tension there won't be any acceleration in the vertical direction only in the horizontal...

Last edited:

never mind i got the tension :)

1. What is the relationship between the radius and the length of a hanging box?

The radius and the length of a hanging box are directly proportional. This means that as the radius increases, the length also increases, and vice versa. This relationship can be expressed by the formula: Length = 2 x Radius.

2. How does the mass of a hanging box affect its speed?

The mass of a hanging box has a direct impact on its speed. The larger the mass, the slower the speed, and vice versa. This is because mass is a measure of an object's inertia, and the greater the inertia, the more force is needed to accelerate the object to a certain speed.

3. Can the speed of a hanging box be calculated using the radius and length?

Yes, the speed of a hanging box can be calculated using the formula: Speed = 2 x pi x Radius / Time. This formula takes into account the radius of the box, as well as the time it takes for the box to reach a certain distance. The length of the box is not directly related to the speed, but can be used to calculate the time taken for the box to reach a certain distance.

4. How does the length of a hanging box affect its stability?

The length of a hanging box has a significant impact on its stability. A longer box will have a lower center of mass, making it less stable and more prone to tipping over. On the other hand, a shorter box will have a higher center of mass, making it more stable and less likely to tip over.

5. Can the radius of a hanging box be changed without affecting its mass?

No, the radius of a hanging box cannot be changed without affecting its mass. The radius and mass of an object are directly related through the formula for density, which is Mass = Density x Volume. Since the volume of a box changes when the radius is altered, the mass of the box will also change.