Harmonic Motion Spring Constant

In summary: Thank you for your help!In summary, in this problem, a cart is floating on an airtrack and is connected by a spring to one fixed object. It executes simple harmonic motion with a period of 4 seconds. The cart's mass is 2kg, and its maximum displacement from rest position is 1.8m. The spring constant is k= -F/x, and the unit of mass is kg.
Rookie
Hello I was given this problem, and I have two possible answers and I really just need someone to verify which one is right, or at least in the right direction. Thanks!

Homework Statement

A cart is floating on an airtrack and is connected by a spring to one fixed object. The cart executes simple harmonic motion with a period of 4 seconds. Its mass is 2kg. Its maximum displacement from rest position is 1.8m. Calculate the spring constant and provide units.

Homework Equations

Given in problem statement:
ω² = (F/s)/m
What I found online:
k = -F/x

The Attempt at a Solution

Using k = -F/x ( But I'm not sure I was suppose to use this equation.
k = - F(force=ma)/x(displacement)
k = - 2*9.8/1.8
k= - 196/1.8
k= 108.89 n/m

Using ω² = (F/s)/m I came up with
ω² = (F/s)/m
(196/4)/2 = 24.5 n/m

Physics news on Phys.org
Rookie said:
Hello I was given this problem, and I have two possible answers and I really just need someone to verify which one is right, or at least in the right direction. Thanks!

Homework Statement

A cart is floating on an airtrack and is connected by a spring to one fixed object. The cart executes simple harmonic motion with a period of 4 seconds. Its mass is 2kg. Its maximum displacement from rest position is 1.8m. Calculate the spring constant and provide units.

Homework Equations

Given in problem statement:
ω² = (F/s)/m
What I found online:
k = -F/x

The Attempt at a Solution

Using k = -F/x ( But I'm not sure I was suppose to use this equation.
k = - F(force=ma)/x(displacement)
k = - 2*9.8/1.8

How does the gravitational acceleration come in? The cart is on an air-track, and floats. It does not fall!

Rookie said:
Using ω² = (F/s)/m I came up with
ω² = (F/s)/m
(196/4)/2 = 24.5 n/m
You have to know the meaning of the symbols in the formula you are using. What are F, s, ω?

ehild

F = force
s = Seconds
omega is angular velocity
I pretty sure those are right, not sure about s though.

And about the gravitational acceleration, I guess that was a mistake haha

You used mg = 196 N for the force. It is wrong.
Read about SHM (simple harmonic motion) in your book or lecture notes. What force acts to objects performing SHM? How is ω related with the spring constant (k) and the mass (m)?

ehild

okay so ω is angular frequency, s was displacement.
ω = spring constant (k) / mass (m)
So if I want the spring constant I would need to work out ω and then ω * m which would equal the spring constant?

ω also equals 2π/f, 2 * pi / T
frequency = 1/T

Last edited:
ω = 2 * 3.1415 / 4 (T)
ω = 1.57 rad/s
k = ω * m
k = (3.14²) * 2

k = 6.28 n/m
Okay I think that this is the answer! Please check what I've done =)

Rookie said:
okay so ω is angular frequency, s was displacement.
[STRIKE]ω = spring constant (k) / mass (m)[/STRIKE]
So if I want the spring constant I would need to work out ω and then ω * m which would equal the spring constant?

ω2=k/m

ehild

Okay hows this?
ω² = (F/s)/m
ω² =k/m

ω = 2π/T
ω = 2 * 3.1415 / 4 (T)
ω = 1.57 rad/s
ω convert to ω²
ω² = 2.46
k = ω² * m
k = 2.46 * 2
k = 4.93 n/m

It is much better.:smile: But "Newton", the unit of force, is abbreviated with capital N.

ehild

Likes 1 person

FAQ: Harmonic Motion Spring Constant

1. What is harmonic motion spring constant?

The harmonic motion spring constant, also known as the spring constant or force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It represents the amount of force required to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance.

2. How is the spring constant calculated?

The spring constant is calculated by dividing the applied force by the resulting displacement of the spring. Mathematically, it is represented as k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the displacement of the spring.

3. What is the unit of measurement for spring constant?

The unit of measurement for spring constant depends on the unit of force and displacement used. In the SI system, the unit for force is Newtons (N) and the unit for displacement is meters (m), so the unit of spring constant is N/m.

4. How does the spring constant affect harmonic motion?

The spring constant plays a crucial role in harmonic motion. It determines the frequency and period of the motion, as well as the amplitude of the oscillations. A higher spring constant results in a higher frequency, shorter period, and smaller amplitude of the motion.

5. Can the spring constant change?

Yes, the spring constant can change depending on factors such as the material and dimensions of the spring, as well as the temperature and external forces acting on the spring. Changes in the spring constant can affect the behavior of harmonic motion and other systems that involve springs.

Back