1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat added to Monatomic Gas at Constant Pressure

1. Nov 12, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If 650 J of heat are added to 21 moles of a monatomic gas at constant pressure, how much does the temperature of the gas increase? (in Kelvins)

2. Relevant equations
    U = nRT
    Q=(5/2)nR(T2-T1)

3. The attempt at a solution

well how do you even know how much the temperature changes by if they dont give u an initial temperature? or is it just as simple as solving for delta T in which you just do

650J = (5/2)(21)( 8.31 J/mol.K )(Delta T)

is it really that simple or do i have to do something with the 21 moles and convert it or anything? and once i do get the Delta T must that be converted or something in order to have it end up in Kelvins? I ended up with 1.4899K im not sure if that's right though.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2011 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It is correct. Do not write it out with more than 3 digits.

ehild

4. Nov 13, 2011 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Careful. For a monatomic ideal gas, internal energy, U = 3nRT/2
    Note that T is in Kelvins, and Q is in Joules and R is in Joule/mol Kelvin. The molar heat capacity Cp (=5R/2) is temperature independent ie. it is the same for all T.
    It is that simple.

AM

5. Nov 13, 2011 #4
    wait so is it 3/2 or 5/2? cuz i have 2 equations from the formula sheet he gave us one says

Cp = 5/2 * R and one says Cv = 3/2 * R ? or in this case is it the 3/2*5/2 or something?

6. Nov 13, 2011 #5

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Cp is the molar specific heat capacity at constant pressure, and it is 5/2 R for mono-atomic gases. You add heat at constant pressure, so Cp was correctly used.

ehild

7. Nov 13, 2011 #6
    thank you guys, appreciate it alot

8. Nov 13, 2011 #7

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Cp = 5R/2 and Cv=3R/2. But you had U = nRT. That is not correct. U = nCvT = (3/2)nRT.

AM

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook