Heat and Phase change: latent heat

In summary, to find the heat required to melt the ice, you need to first find the heat needed to raise the temperature of the ice to the melting point. This can be calculated using the formula Q=mass*specific heat*change in temp. Then, you need to add this value to the heat needed to melt the ice, which can be calculated using the formula Q=m*L, where L is the latent heat of fusion for water. Finally, you need to multiply this total heat by the area of the windshield and the density of ice to find the total heat required to melt the ice.
scw287

Homework Statement

A woman finds the front windshield of her car covered with ice at -12.8°C. The ice has a thickness of 4.60 10-4 m, and the windshield has an area of 1.25 m2. The density of ice is 917 kg/m3. How much heat is required to melt the ice?

Homework Equations

Q=mL or change temp=Q/constant*mass

The Attempt at a Solution

Volume = Area * thickness<<then found the density
Q=mct Energy = mass* specific heat* cahnge in temp
heres the numbers that I plugged in: Q=(917)*(5.75*10^-4)*(12.8)*(22.6*10^5)<this last number is the latent fusion for water

the answer I got was wrong. not sure if I'm make a simple mistake or completely on the wrong track!

thanks in advance:wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this. Think in terms of two separate steps:
(1) You must raise the temp of the ice to the melting point
(2) You must melt the ice

Find the heat needed for each step and add them up.

1.if i raise the temp of the ice to the melting pt. it would need to be at its boiling pt 100 degrees celcius. heat rises

2. now must melt the ice at 0 degrees celcius

I'm sorry I really don't know what I'm doing just learned this for the first time today along with four other physics chapter.

could I use m*L<heat gained
and c*m*change in temp.< heat lost
and set the two equal?
?

scw287 said:
1.if i raise the temp of the ice to the melting pt. it would need to be at its boiling pt 100 degrees celcius. heat rises
What temperature must the ice be in order to melt? Just melt, not boil!

well the melting point is at 0. degrees celcius

is the latent fusion the same thing as the temperature for which ice needs to be in order to melt?

scw287 said:
well the melting point is at 0. degrees celcius
Right. So how much heat is needed to raise the temperature of the ice? (Hint: Specific heat)

scw287 said:
is the latent fusion the same thing as the temperature for which ice needs to be in order to melt?
The latent heat of fusion tells you how much energy you need to melt something when it's already at the melting point.

Specific heat for water=4186

So I need to use the formula Q=mass*specific heat*change in temp for the first part right?

scw287 said:
Specific heat for water=4186
What's the specific heat of ice?
scw287 said:
So I need to use the formula Q=mass*specific heat*change in temp for the first part right?
Right.

good after I find that I need add that to melting the ice. How does the area and the density come into play?

scw287 said:
How does the area and the density come into play?
It will allow you to find out how much ice you need to melt.

I'm still not sure how to find the melting of the ice, do i need to use latent heat constant?
ahhh so add the two values together and then multiply by the area*the density?

1. What is heat?

Heat is a form of energy that can be transferred from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. It is measured in units of Joules (J) or calories (cal).

2. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance, while heat is the total energy transferred between two objects due to a temperature difference.

3. What is latent heat?

Latent heat is the amount of heat energy required to change the phase of a substance without changing its temperature. It is also known as the heat of transformation.

4. What are the two types of latent heat?

The two types of latent heat are latent heat of fusion and latent heat of vaporization. Latent heat of fusion is the energy required to change a substance from a solid to a liquid, while latent heat of vaporization is the energy required to change a substance from a liquid to a gas.

5. How does latent heat affect phase changes?

During a phase change, the temperature of a substance remains constant as heat energy is used to break the bonds between particles and change their arrangement. This is why latent heat is important in determining the conditions at which a substance will change phases.