Calculating Calorimeter Heat Capacity for Naphthalene Combustion

• Thread starter Taryn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the calorimeter heat capacity in J K-1 by burning 136.8 mg of naphthalene in a calorimeter and observing a temperature rise of 3.29 oC. The molar mass of naphthalene is given as 128.18 g mol-1. The formula used is Ccal=delta H/delta n, and the value for entropy of naphthalene is found to be 72.6+0.6 kJ/mol. However, the calculated value for Ccal is incorrect and the person is seeking help in identifying the mistake. Another person suggests using the heat of combustion of naphthalene, which is 5156 kJ
Taryn
You burn 136.8 mg of naphthalene in a calorimeter and the temperature of the calorimeter rises by 3.29 oC. Determine the calorimeter heat capacity in J K-1. The molar mass of naphthalene is 128.18 g mol-1

This is a question from a quiz I have to do.
this is wat I did.
Ccal=delta H/delta n=0.1368g/128.18g/mol
=1.06E-3moles

I don't know how to calc delta H from this info but I looked it up on the net and found 72.6+0.6kJ/mol.
Thats not right is it coz when I put this information in the formula
Ccal=((72.6+0.6)x1000j/molx1.06E-3)/(3.29+273.15)

I got it wrong... any help?
Does anyone know if my value for entropy of napthalene is right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Taryn said:
You burn 136.8 mg of naphthalene in a calorimeter and the temperature of the calorimeter rises by 3.29 oC. Determine the calorimeter heat capacity in J K-1. The molar mass of naphthalene is 128.18 g mol-1

This is a question from a quiz I have to do.
this is wat I did.
Ccal=delta H/delta n=0.1368g/128.18g/mol
=1.06E-3moles

I don't know how to calc delta H from this info but I looked it up on the net and found 72.6+0.6kJ/mol.
Thats not right is it coz when I put this information in the formula
Ccal=((72.6+0.6)x1000j/molx1.06E-3)/(3.29+273.15)

I got it wrong... any help?
Does anyone know if my value for entropy of napthalene is right?

heat of combustion of naphthelene=5156 kJ/mole. I think u may equate this to heat gained by calorimeter.

Thanks I will try that!

Yeah I just tried to use that and still got it wrong its so frustrating! I will go and see my lecturer now and hopefully he can help. Can u see anything wrong with my process?

What is the heat capacity of naphthalene?

The heat capacity of naphthalene, also known as its specific heat, is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one gram of naphthalene by one degree Celsius.

How is the heat capacity of naphthalene measured?

The heat capacity of naphthalene is typically measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that can accurately measure the heat absorbed or released during a chemical reaction or physical process.

What is the significance of the heat capacity of naphthalene?

The heat capacity of naphthalene is an important physical property that helps us understand how this substance will react to changes in temperature. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as in the production of plastics and dyes.

What factors can affect the heat capacity of naphthalene?

The heat capacity of naphthalene can be affected by factors such as temperature, pressure, and the physical state of the substance (solid, liquid, or gas). It can also vary depending on the purity and composition of the naphthalene sample.

How is the heat capacity of naphthalene used in thermodynamics?

The heat capacity of naphthalene is an important parameter in thermodynamics, as it is used to calculate the amount of heat required for a given temperature change. It is also used in the study of phase transitions, such as melting and boiling, and can help determine the stability and reactivity of naphthalene in different conditions.