Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Convection Output

1. Jul 19, 2012 #1
    I need some clarification regarding the following formula:

Qconv = Pn x Qs x b x ϕ

this equation is used to determine the cooking appliance's convective heat output in kw, 'b' and 'ϕ' are coefficients easily determined. I am confused whether to use the actual capacity of the appliance for 'Pn' or its power rating which is higher and will result in a big difference. And 'Qs' is the sensible heat emitted in W and sometimes is expressed is W/kW.

Can anyone help clear this issue?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 3, 2013 #2
    What do you mean by actual capacity is it scones per minute? I take it is some kind of electric oven. Is it a electric element in a oven where you are trying to work out the ratio of radiant heat to convective heat? Maybe the sensible heat in W/kW is a ratio of sensible heating to total heating ie the heat to heat up the scones divided by the heat to heat up the scones plus the heat of the steam coming out of them. Maybe you should not listen to me I have never studied oven design.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook