Heat needed to change temperature of hydrogen gas

In summary: RIn summary, the question asks for the amount of heat needed to change the temperature of 0.650 moles of hydrogen gas from 50 K to 100 K. Using the equation Q=nC_v(T_f-T_i), where n=0.65 mol, C_v=5/2 R=20.775, and (T_f-T_i)=50, the calculated answer is 675.188. However, there are discrepancies in the calculation due to using the incorrect mass for hydrogen gas. When calculating for diatomic hydrogen gas, the correct mass must be used. With the correct mass, the calculated answer is 337.6, and for monatomic hydrogen gas at that temperature
Kalie
A rigid container holds 0.650 of hydrogen gas. How much heat is needed to change the temperature of the gas from 50 K to 100 K?
All right I know this is easy but for some reason I can't get the right answer what i have been doing is using the equation Q=nC_v(T_f-T_i)
Hydrogen gas is 1 g/mol
so n= .65 mol
C_v= 5/2 R= 20.775
because hydrogen gas is diatomic?
(T_f-T_i)= 100-50= 50
so putting it all together I get 675.188
which is wrong I made Hydrogen monotomic for the hay of it and got 405 J which is wrong too.
Please tell me what I am doing wrong...:cry:

Physics news on Phys.org
Kalie said:
A rigid container holds 0.650 of hydrogen gas. How much heat is needed to change the temperature of the gas from 50 K to 100 K?
All right I know this is easy but for some reason I can't get the right answer what i have been doing is using the equation Q=nC_v(T_f-T_i)
Hydrogen gas is 1 g/mol
so n= .65 mol
C_v= 5/2 R= 20.775
because hydrogen gas is diatomic?
(T_f-T_i)= 100-50= 50
so putting it all together I get 675.188
which is wrong I made Hydrogen monotomic for the hay of it and got 405 J which is wrong too.
Please tell me what I am doing wrong...:cry:

See the highlights in the quote. A contradiction?

OlderDan said:
See the highlights in the quote. A contradiction?
But i also calculated it for monotomic too...

Kalie said:
But i also calculated it for monotomic too...

Did you calculate it for diatomic using the correct mass?

OlderDan said:
Did you calculate it for diatomic using the correct mass?
Oh!
But When I do that I get
.65/2 = .325
.325*20.775*50 = 337.6 which is still wrong

nevermind monatomic at that temp

1. How is heat related to the change in temperature of hydrogen gas?

Heat is the transfer of thermal energy from one object to another. When heat is added to a substance, the particles within the substance gain kinetic energy and their movement increases, causing an increase in temperature.

2. How does the amount of heat needed to change the temperature of hydrogen gas compare to other gases?

The amount of heat needed to change the temperature of hydrogen gas depends on the specific heat capacity of the gas. Compared to other gases, hydrogen gas has a relatively low specific heat capacity, meaning it requires less heat to increase its temperature compared to other gases.

3. What factors affect the amount of heat needed to change the temperature of hydrogen gas?

The amount of heat needed to change the temperature of hydrogen gas can be affected by the gas's specific heat capacity, the initial and final temperatures, and the amount of gas being heated.

4. Can you calculate the amount of heat needed to change the temperature of a specific amount of hydrogen gas?

Yes, the amount of heat needed to change the temperature of a specific amount of hydrogen gas can be calculated using the equation Q = mcΔT, where Q is the amount of heat, m is the mass of the gas, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

5. How does the heat needed to change the temperature of hydrogen gas affect the gas's physical properties?

The heat needed to change the temperature of hydrogen gas can affect its physical properties, such as its volume and pressure. When heat is added to the gas, its volume and pressure will increase, and when heat is removed, its volume and pressure will decrease.