Calculating Heat of Reaction at 1200K: TiCl4 + O2 → TiO2 + 2Cl2

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of calculating the heat of reaction for a chemical equation at a given temperature, using the heat of formation and entropy values at 300 Kelvin and the formula for calculating heat capacity. The question asks about the heat of reaction at 1200 Kelvin, and the solution involves integrating the heat capacities to determine the heat effects involved in cooling the reactants and heating the products.
sero2000

Homework Statement

I am given the following chemical eqn

TiCl4(g) + O2 → TiO2 (s) + 2Cl2

I am also given some values on the heat of formation and the entropy of the substances but however only at 300Kelvin and i am given some values and the formula to calculate Cp of the substances

The question asks about the heat of reaction when the process is at 1200Kelvin.

Im just not too sure how to start. Am i able to just take the heat of formation values at 300K? IF i were to find out the heat of reaction for this process at 300k, is it possible that i integrate the Cp equation with T2 = 1200K and T1=300k?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
sero2000 said:

Homework Statement

I am given the following chemical eqn

TiCl4(g) + O2 → TiO2 (s) + 2Cl2

I am also given some values on the heat of formation and the entropy of the substances but however only at 300Kelvin and i am given some values and the formula to calculate Cp of the substances

The question asks about the heat of reaction when the process is at 1200Kelvin.

Im just not too sure how to start. Am i able to just take the heat of formation values at 300K? IF i were to find out the heat of reaction for this process at 300k, is it possible that i integrate the Cp equation with T2 = 1200K and T1=300k?
Yes. You have the right idea. First, you take the change in enthalpy to bring the reactants down to 300 K, then you take the heat of reaction at 300 K, then you take the change in enthalpy to bring the products back up to 1200 K. This is the same as the heat of reaction at 1200 K. You integrate the heat capacities to get heat effects involved in cooling the reactants and heating the products.

Chet

ALRIGHT I managed to understand now. THANKS!

What is the definition of heat of reaction?

The heat of reaction, also known as enthalpy of reaction, is the amount of heat energy released or absorbed during a chemical reaction. It is typically measured in joules (J) or kilojoules (kJ).

How is heat of reaction calculated?

Heat of reaction is calculated by subtracting the enthalpy of the reactants from the enthalpy of the products. This can be determined experimentally by measuring the change in temperature of the reaction and using the equation q = mcΔT, where q is the heat energy, m is the mass of the reacting substances, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

What factors affect the heat of reaction?

The heat of reaction can be influenced by several factors such as the nature and type of reactants, the concentration of reactants, the temperature of the reaction, and the pressure of the system. These factors can alter the energy required to break and form bonds during the reaction, thus affecting the overall heat of reaction.

Why is heat of reaction important?

Heat of reaction is important in understanding the energy changes that occur during chemical reactions. It helps predict the direction and spontaneity of a reaction, as well as the amount of energy that needs to be supplied or removed to maintain a constant temperature. It also has practical applications in industries such as food and pharmaceuticals, where precise control of heat energy is crucial in product development and manufacturing processes.

Can the heat of reaction be negative?

Yes, the heat of reaction can be negative if the reaction releases heat energy (exothermic reaction). This means that the energy of the products is lower than the energy of the reactants, resulting in a decrease in enthalpy. On the other hand, if the reaction absorbs heat energy (endothermic reaction), the heat of reaction will be positive.