1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat of reaction problem

1. Mar 11, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I am given the following chemical eqn

TiCl4(g) + O2 → TiO2 (s) + 2Cl2

I am also given some values on the heat of formation and the entropy of the substances but however only at 300Kelvin and i am given some values and the formula to calculate Cp of the substances

The question asks about the heat of reaction when the process is at 1200Kelvin.

Im just not too sure how to start. Am i able to just take the heat of formation values at 300K? IF i were to find out the heat of reaction for this process at 300k, is it possible that i integrate the Cp equation with T2 = 1200K and T1=300k?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2014 #2
    Yes. You have the right idea. First, you take the change in enthalpy to bring the reactants down to 300 K, then you take the heat of reaction at 300 K, then you take the change in enthalpy to bring the products back up to 1200 K. This is the same as the heat of reaction at 1200 K. You integrate the heat capacities to get heat effects involved in cooling the reactants and heating the products.

Chet

4. Mar 12, 2014 #3
    ALRIGHT I managed to understand now. THANKS!!!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted