1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Heat Transfer - Rapid cooling of steel cylinder

1. Apr 12, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A steel cylinder of diameter 8cm and length 12cm is initially at 600°C. It is placed in oil at 20°C for rapid cooling, for case hardening of the surface layer. The value of h is 60W/m2 K. Use the numerical method.

a. Determine the time in which the maximum internal temperature level decreases to 500°C.

b. What is the minimum metal temperature at this time and where does it occur?

c. Plot the temperature distribution at that time along the cylinder axis.

2. Relevant equations

Not sure on what equations are relevant to this question

3. The attempt at a solution

With regards to the attempt of this question I really don't know where to start, I have been through textbooks in an attempt to find similar question with no success. However after reading I can gather, a thin rectangular shape can be constructed along the cylinders axis, so cartesian coordinates can be used to find the variation in temperature using the initial and boundary conditions surrounding the cylinder.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 13, 2013 #2

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

It says "use the numerical method", not "use a numerical method". This suggests it refers to a method you have been taught. No-one else can know what that is.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted