Heat - What is the temperature of this object?

In summary, the temperature of 1 kilogram of solid X at -20C will be -20C after gaining 40 kilojoules of energy, based on the given specific heat of 0.4 and heat of fusion of 60 at a melting point of -20. To determine the phase of a substance, you can look at a temperature vs. time graph and identify where phase changes occur, as the temperature will not change during that time interval.
MIA6
If 1 kilogram of solid X at -20C gains 40 kilojoules of energy, its temperature will be ____
1) -120 2) -80 3) -20 4) 80
Given: Specific heat of solid: 0.4, heat of fusion: 60, melting point:-20,
So I did: mL+40=0.4(T+20) --> 60+40=0.4(T+20), T=230. But no choice for that.

Then I have one question, is there any way to tell if a substance is solid or liquid or gas, in other words, what phase? because there is a diagram with temperature on y-axis, time on x-axis, so how can I tell what phase a certain point is.

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org

If 1 kilogram of solid X at -20C gains 40 kilojoules of energy, its temperature will be ____
Can you specify the units that are attached to these quantities? I think you might need to convert to grams to do this properly but I can't tell without the units.
Then I have one question, is there any way to tell if a substance is solid or liquid or gas, in other words, what phase? because there is a diagram with temperature on y-axis, time on x-axis, so how can I tell what phase a certain point is.
Well, you can pick out where the phase changes occur since the temperature will not change during that time interval.

MIA6 said:

Thank you.
I am not sure what you are doing.

First of all, you have to determine where the phase change will occur and how much energy is needed to achieve it. At what temperature does the solid melt? What happens to temperature during that phase change? Is there enough heat to complete the phase change?

AM

1. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred between objects or systems due to a difference in temperature. Temperature, on the other hand, is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance.

2. How is temperature measured?

Temperature is typically measured using a thermometer, which contains a liquid, such as mercury or alcohol, that expands or contracts as the temperature changes. The thermometer is calibrated to a specific temperature scale, such as Celsius or Fahrenheit.

3. Can temperature be negative?

Yes, temperature can be negative. In fact, the concept of negative temperatures is used in certain areas of physics to describe systems with a higher energy state than those at positive temperatures.

4. How does temperature affect the properties of matter?

Temperature has a significant impact on the properties of matter. As temperature increases, the particles in a substance move faster, causing an increase in volume and a decrease in density. This can also lead to changes in state, such as from a solid to a liquid or a liquid to a gas.

5. What is absolute zero?

Absolute zero is the theoretical lowest possible temperature, at which point all molecular motion stops. It is represented as 0 Kelvin, which is equivalent to -273.15 degrees Celsius or -459.67 degrees Fahrenheit.