Hello, I with this circuit, an RF oscillator

In summary, the 390pF couples energy from the tank to the base and out to the crystal. The base voltage is set to; Vb = 12V * ( 22k / (82k + 22k ) ). Emitter current is set by the 1k resistor to Ie = ( Vb – Vbe ) / 1k. The 0.1uF provides very low impedance at RF, much less than the 1k. The 4.3uH in parallel with 10pF to 265pF is a resonant circuit, like a tank. The tank circuit will appear as a high impedance at tuned frequency. The full resonant tank voltage will appear at the emitter.
Merlin3189 said:
First, apologies to Baluncore for confusing him with Anorlunda.
Well done on all the simulation work. I really ought to try to learn to use this Spice stuff myself.

Second, I think I can now see the Colpitts configuration, with the crystal and 390pF & VC across it. If the 4.3uH is bundled in with the VC, there will be a setting where, at the crystal frequency the combination appears as a capacitor of the right value to get the unit+ loop gain. Quite how the inductor helps, I'm not sure yet.

What would be very helpful, would be someone with a copy of the ARRL "Experimental Methods in RF Design" which seems to be the source of this cct.

And since my interest has been piqued in the idea of emitter follower negative resistance, I'd be very pleased if anyone could point me to a detailed analysis of the emitter follower with a complex load, rather than a predominantly real one. Otherwise I guess I'll have to make a pathetic attempt at doing it myself and posting a thread to ask for people to sort it out.
Hi Merlin this book is from
Merlin3189 said:
First, apologies to Baluncore for confusing him with Anorlunda.
Well done on all the simulation work. I really ought to try to learn to use this Spice stuff myself.

Second, I think I can now see the Colpitts configuration, with the crystal and 390pF & VC across it. If the 4.3uH is bundled in with the VC, there will be a setting where, at the crystal frequency the combination appears as a capacitor of the right value to get the unit+ loop gain. Quite how the inductor helps, I'm not sure yet.

What would be very helpful, would be someone with a copy of the ARRL "Experimental Methods in RF Design" which seems to be the source of this cct.

And since my interest has been piqued in the idea of emitter follower negative resistance, I'd be very pleased if anyone could point me to a detailed analysis of the emitter follower with a complex load, rather than a predominantly real one. Otherwise I guess I'll have to make a pathetic attempt at doing it myself and posting a thread to ask for people to sort it out.
You can take the book from library genesis.com only the book but the cd of book i don't know where to find.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Merlin3189 said:
I have a copy here, and I see fig 4.24 shows a series output crystal claimed to reduce harmonics.
Colpitts-XtalOsc.png

But it is a Colpitts oscillator with the inductor replaced by a crystal to make a crystal oscillator. It has no tank, that is done by the crystal and capacitive divider. The output voltage appears across the series capacitor. This shows that the frequency of the oscillator is primarily set by the crystal.
Has anyone found any circuit in any reference with the tank circuit and the series crystal output.

I have looked for, but have not found negative resistance in the tank based circuit.

Attachments

• Colpitts-XtalOsc.png
    Colpitts-XtalOsc.png
    45.5 KB · Views: 798
Likes Merlin3189
Thanks to everbody for help, and nice wekend for everybody.:partytime:

Starting with the circuit from Fig 4.24 of ARRL (2003) “Experimental Methods in RF Design”.

fig4.24circuit.png

A 7MHz crystal with a Q of 20k has a BW of about 7MHz / 20k = 350Hz. That should give an oscillation rise-time of about 1 / 350Hz = 2.86ms. That same crystal model is used here in all simulations.
Here is the output rise-time envelope, which can be seen is slower than expected to start.
fig4.24risetime.png

Now we get to the OP's “QRP Homebuilder circuit” which is really a Colpitts crystal oscillator, where the crystal replaces the tuning inductor. The series combination of crystal and output capacitor are an integral part, in parallel with the capacitive divider of the oscillator. Here it is drawn in a way that shows that arrangement more clearly.
CXOckt.png

The table of C2 shows half Vpp output amplitude as ±Vp, and the highest harmonic relative to the fundamental. There is a region with good output amplitude and good harmonic suppression.

The simple Colpitts crystal oscillator without an inductor or RFC is slow to start. The addition of the inductance can significantly reduce the rise-time of the oscillation, but that requires the bias current be set separately from the capacitive divider, hence the unusual circuit.

It is important that what we have been calling the 'tank' is NOT made resonant near the crystal frequency. The tank must be tuned on the capacitive, lower frequency side of the crystal frequency. That way it looks like a capacitor at the crystal frequency, which is what reduces the circuit to a crystal oscillator with the Colpitts capacitive divider.

The capacitor output technique can reduce the harmonic content to be 50dB below the fundamental, but don't expect anything more than about 50dB down. Here is the clean output waveform, with C2 = 180 pF.
CXOwave180pF.png

Risetime with C2 = 470pF is;
CXOrise470pF.png

Risetime with C2 = 195pF is;
CXOrise195pF.png

Risetime with C2 = 180pF is; ( The saw artefact is a beat between the simulation timestep and the crystal frequency. )
CXOrise180pF.png

Risetime with C2 = 130pF is; ( Here the artefact shows up earlier in the rise, but then later as whiskers. )
CXOrise130pF.png

It can be seen that this rises significantly faster than was expected.

Attachments

• fig4.24circuit.png
    fig4.24circuit.png
    8.8 KB · Views: 977
  • fig4.24risetime.png
    fig4.24risetime.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 861
  • CXOckt.png
    CXOckt.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 912
  • CXOwave180pF.png
    CXOwave180pF.png
    15.8 KB · Views: 910
  • CXOrise470pF.png
    CXOrise470pF.png
    5.7 KB · Views: 882
  • CXOrise195pF.png
    CXOrise195pF.png
    5.1 KB · Views: 842
  • CXOrise180pF.png
    CXOrise180pF.png
    7.2 KB · Views: 907
  • CXOrise130pF.png
    CXOrise130pF.png
    6.3 KB · Views: 858
Likes michael1978, Merlin3189 and Tom.G
Baluncore said:
Starting with the circuit from Fig 4.24 of ARRL (2003) “Experimental Methods in RF Design”.

View attachment 227805

A 7MHz crystal with a Q of 20k has a BW of about 7MHz / 20k = 350Hz. That should give an oscillation rise-time of about 1 / 350Hz = 2.86ms. That same crystal model is used here in all simulations.
Here is the output rise-time envelope, which can be seen is slower than expected to start.
View attachment 227806

Now we get to the OP's “QRP Homebuilder circuit” which is really a Colpitts crystal oscillator, where the crystal replaces the tuning inductor. The series combination of crystal and output capacitor are an integral part, in parallel with the capacitive divider of the oscillator. Here it is drawn in a way that shows that arrangement more clearly.
View attachment 227807

The table of C2 shows half Vpp output amplitude as ±Vp, and the highest harmonic relative to the fundamental. There is a region with good output amplitude and good harmonic suppression.

The simple Colpitts crystal oscillator without an inductor or RFC is slow to start. The addition of the inductance can significantly reduce the rise-time of the oscillation, but that requires the bias current be set separately from the capacitive divider, hence the unusual circuit.

It is important that what we have been calling the 'tank' is NOT made resonant near the crystal frequency. The tank must be tuned on the capacitive, lower frequency side of the crystal frequency. That way it looks like a capacitor at the crystal frequency, which is what reduces the circuit to a crystal oscillator with the Colpitts capacitive divider.

The capacitor output technique can reduce the harmonic content to be 50dB below the fundamental, but don't expect anything more than about 50dB down. Here is the clean output waveform, with C2 = 180 pF.
View attachment 227808

Risetime with C2 = 470pF is;
View attachment 227809

Risetime with C2 = 195pF is;
View attachment 227811

Risetime with C2 = 180pF is; ( The saw artefact is a beat between the simulation timestep and the crystal frequency. )
View attachment 227812

Risetime with C2 = 130pF is; ( Here the artefact shows up earlier in the rise, but then later as whiskers. )
View attachment 227815
It can be seen that this rises significantly faster than was expected.
Thnx baluncore you are the best:partytime: