[help] finding the total electric flux

In summary, the conversation involves a student studying electric flux and its relationship with electric field. They are struggling with a problem and do not know which formula to use to solve it. They attempted to use the integration of the volume of a sphere, but did not reach the correct solution. They are seeking help and are reminded that integration is done over surface area and Gauss's theorem should be used throughout.
bibo_dvd
Hello Guys !

iam studing the electric flux and how the relationship between D ( electric flux density ) and E ( elecric field)

but i found this problem and i don't know which formula should i use to solve it to find the electric flux

i know that Q=(Psi)=the electric flux but i don't know how to use this to solve this problem

i tried to use the integration of the volume of the sphere which is r^2 sin(ceta)*dr*d(ceta)*d(phi)

but i didn't reach to the number in the solution ...I need your help !

MhjsfpZ.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't integrate over volume, you integrate over surface area.

hmmm , this means that i will integrate r^2 sin(ceta) *d(ceta)*d(phi) ??

You don't actually perform any integration. You use Gauss's theorem thruout.

Hello,

I'm glad to hear that you are studying electric flux and its relationship with electric field. The formula you mentioned, Q = Ψ = electric flux, is correct. However, to calculate the electric flux, you also need to know the area over which the electric field is passing through. This area is known as the surface area, A.

The formula for calculating electric flux is Ψ = E*A. This means that the electric flux is equal to the electric field strength multiplied by the surface area. In your problem, you mentioned that you are trying to find the electric flux of a sphere. In this case, the surface area would be the surface area of a sphere, which is 4πr^2.

So, to solve your problem, you can use the formula Ψ = E*A = E*4πr^2. Make sure to use the correct units for the electric field and surface area to get the correct units for electric flux.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is electric flux?

Electric flux is a measure of the flow of an electric field through a surface. It is a scalar quantity that is directly proportional to the number of electric field lines passing through a given surface.

2. How do you calculate electric flux?

Electric flux can be calculated by multiplying the electric field strength by the perpendicular area of the surface the field is passing through. This can be represented mathematically as Φ = E * A * cos(θ), where E is the electric field strength, A is the area of the surface, and θ is the angle between the electric field and the normal vector of the surface.

3. What is the unit of electric flux?

The unit of electric flux is N*m²/C or V*m, which can also be written as volts per meter (V/m). This unit represents the amount of electric field passing through a surface per unit area.

4. Can electric flux be negative?

Yes, electric flux can be negative. This occurs when the electric field and the normal vector of the surface are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for the flux. It can also occur when the surface is enclosed by a charge, as the electric field lines will point towards the charge, resulting in a negative flux.

5. How is electric flux related to Gauss's law?

Gauss's law states that the total electric flux passing through a closed surface is equal to the total charge enclosed by that surface divided by the permittivity of free space (ε0). This law is a fundamental principle in the study of electrostatics and can be used to solve for unknown charge distributions or electric field strengths.