1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help on amount of oxygen [dissolved] at equilibrium in an unknown sample

1. Nov 13, 2007 #1
    Hi everyone. I need help on this. I am trying out this problem and trying to see if I am doing this right, but I can't quite figure it out. The original question is: "A water sample , at 25 C, Eh= 0.2 and pH=5.40. Assuming this system is at equilibrium, calculate the amt. of dissolved oxygen in ppm in the water sample.

What I know is that given KH = 0.0012589:

We know that O2 makes up about 21% of the atmosphere molecules, so its partial pressure is 0.21 atm (210,000 ppm)....Solving using Henrys Law

O2(aq) = PO2 x KH = 0.21 atm x 0.0012589 (M/atm) = 2.6 x 10-4 M...

given this M, we can convert from molarity to ppm...2.6 x 10-4 M = (2.6 x 10-4 mol) * 32 g = 0.0085 g/L = 8.5 mg/L

since mg/L is almost equal ppm. but it just doesn't seem to work. Teach is not taking my 8.5 answer. Anyone help me on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?