Help on amount of oxygen [dissolved] at equilibrium in an unknown sample

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the amount of dissolved oxygen in a water sample at equilibrium, based on the given values of temperature, Eh, and pH. The method used is Henry's Law, but there seems to be an error in the conversion from molarity to ppm. The correct calculation is shown, resulting in a dissolved oxygen concentration of 8.32 ppm.
ihatethem
Hi everyone. I need help on this. I am trying out this problem and trying to see if I am doing this right, but I can't quite figure it out. The original question is: "A water sample , at 25 C, Eh= 0.2 and pH=5.40. Assuming this system is at equilibrium, calculate the amt. of dissolved oxygen in ppm in the water sample.

What I know is that given KH = 0.0012589:

We know that O2 makes up about 21% of the atmosphere molecules, so its partial pressure is 0.21 atm (210,000 ppm)...Solving using Henrys Law

O2(aq) = PO2 x KH = 0.21 atm x 0.0012589 (M/atm) = 2.6 x 10-4 M...

given this M, we can convert from molarity to ppm...2.6 x 10-4 M = (2.6 x 10-4 mol) * 32 g = 0.0085 g/L = 8.5 mg/L

since mg/L is almost equal ppm. but it just doesn't seem to work. Teach is not taking my 8.5 answer. Anyone help me on what I'm doing wrong? Thanks.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It appears that you are making a mistake in your conversion from molarity to ppm. You have assumed that the molecular weight of oxygen is 32 g/mol, which is correct. However, 1 mol/L is equal to 1 mmol/L, not 1 mg/L. To convert from molarity to ppm, you need to multiply your molarity by the molecular weight (in this case, 32 g/mol) and then divide by 1000 to get the result in ppm. So your calculation should be: O2(aq) = PO2 x KH = 0.21 atm x 0.0012589 (M/atm) = 2.6 x 10-4 M...given this M, we can convert from molarity to ppm...2.6 x 10-4 M * (32 g/mol) /1000 = 8.32 ppm

Hello,

It seems like you are on the right track with using Henry's Law to calculate the amount of dissolved oxygen in your water sample. However, there are a few things to consider.

First, make sure you are using the correct units for your calculations. In this case, the unit for KH is M/atm, so when you multiply it by the partial pressure of oxygen (0.21 atm), your units should cancel out to give you a final unit of M (molarity).

Secondly, when converting from molarity to ppm, make sure to take into account the density of water. The conversion factor from molarity to ppm is 1 M = 1 g/L, but since water has a density of 1 g/mL, the conversion factor should actually be 1 M = 1 mg/mL. This will give you a more accurate result.

Lastly, make sure to double check your calculations and units to ensure they are correct. If you are still having trouble, it may be helpful to consult with a colleague or your teacher for further guidance.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your calculations!

1. How do I measure the amount of dissolved oxygen in an unknown sample?

To measure the amount of dissolved oxygen in an unknown sample, you can use a dissolved oxygen probe or sensor. This device will measure the oxygen concentration in the sample and give you a reading in units of mg/L or ppm.

2. What factors affect the amount of dissolved oxygen in a sample?

The amount of dissolved oxygen in a sample can be affected by temperature, salinity, and photosynthesis. Higher temperatures and salinity levels can decrease the amount of dissolved oxygen, while photosynthesis can increase it.

3. How does the equilibrium of oxygen in a sample occur?

The equilibrium of oxygen in a sample occurs through a process known as diffusion. Oxygen molecules in the air or water will diffuse into the sample until the concentration is equal on both sides.

4. What is the significance of measuring dissolved oxygen in a sample?

Measuring dissolved oxygen in a sample is important for understanding the health of aquatic environments. It can indicate the presence of pollutants, the level of biological activity, and the potential for aquatic life to thrive.

5. Can I use a chemical test to measure dissolved oxygen in a sample?

Yes, there are chemical tests available to measure the amount of dissolved oxygen in a sample. However, these tests are less accurate and precise compared to using a dissolved oxygen probe or sensor.