1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

HELP solubility product determine solubility of lead 2 chloride mol/L and g/L

1. Dec 19, 2005 #1
    use you accepted value for the solubility product of lead 2 chloride to determine the solubility of lead 2 chloride in mol/L and g/L

the accepted value is ksp=1.2*10^-5

Ksp=[Pb] [Cl]^2

1.2*10^-5 = (x) (2x)^2

x=0.014 mol/L

0.014 mol/L * 276.1 g/mol
    =3.98 g/L

I dont know if I did this right can someone please tell me ASAP

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 20, 2005 #2
    What did you represent with x? [Pb2+], right?

The solubility of PbCl2 is the concentration of Pb2+ at equilibrium (Cl- has a higher concentration); the molar mass of Pb2+ is 207g/mol.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2005
  4. Dec 20, 2005 #3
    The result in the initial post seems accurate to me. The only problem I see is that solubility is traditionally -x (not just x), because it represents the amount of PbCl_2 *dissolved* per liter. Your instructor may or may not care about this technicality. Also, your value used for the molar mass was 276.2. Using a periodic table I found online I got a value of 278.14, and so I would have reported the answer as:

- .014 mol/L * 278.14 g/mol = - 3.9 g/L

I think your answer for the bottom problem had a typo in it either way because when you multiply .014 * 276.1 you get 3.86 and not 3.98 like you are reporting.

Cheers.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?