Memo
Homework Statement
∫[x^2*dx/sqrt(9+x^2)]
Relevant Equations
sqrt(1+tan^2(a))~sqrt(a^2+U^2)
368064999_867353445000190_1304311522445404453_n.jpg

Here's the answer:
1698854052555.png

Could you explain the highlighted part for me? Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Memo said:
Homework Statement: ∫[x^2*dx/sqrt(9+x^2)]
Relevant Equations: sqrt(1+tan^2(a))~sqrt(a^2+U^2)

View attachment 334648
Here's the answer:
View attachment 334650
Could you explain the highlighted part for me? Thank you very much!
If ##x = 3\tan(t)##, then ##dx = 3\sec^2(t)dt = 3(\tan^2(t) + 1)dt##
The part where they have ##\frac{3dt}{\cos^2(t)}## isn't very helpful, IMO. Better to just replace ##\sec^2(t)## with ##1 + \tan^2(t)##.

Likes WWGD
Mark44 said:
The part where they have ##\frac{3dt}{\cos^2(t)}## isn't very helpful
That was just from the step of taking the derivative of sin/cos.

FactChecker said:
I guess aka ##sec^2 tdt##

FactChecker said:
Why not just go directly to the derivative of the tangent function?

Mark44 said:
I don't know. Your guess is as good as mine. Maybe they wanted to keep the required background to just derivative of sin, cos, and the quotient rule.

Last edited:
Mark44 said:
The derivative of ##tan(x)## is ##\frac1{cos^2(x)}=sec^2(x)##.

martinbn said:
The derivative of ##tan(x)## is ##\frac1{cos^2(x)}=sec^2(x)##.
Yes, I realize that. My point was in explaining why ##x = 3\tan(t)## implies that ##dx = 3\sec^2(t)dt = 3(1 + \tan^2(t))dt##.

Mark44 said:
Yes, I realize that. My point was in explaining why ##x = 3\tan(t)## implies that ##dx = 3\sec^2(t)dt = 3(1 + \tan^2(t))dt##.
What was problem with the explanation ##dx = \frac{3dt}{cos^2(t)} = 3(1 + \tan^2(t))dt##.

martinbn said:
What was problem with the explanation ##dx = \frac{3dt}{cos^2(t)} = 3(1 + \tan^2(t))dt##.
Assuming someone knows the derivatives of all six circular trig functions, why would someone write ##\frac{d\tan(t)}{dt}## as ##\frac 1 {\cos^2(t)}## and not just go directly to ##\sec^2(t)##?
I'm not saying what was written was incorrect, just that it was more complicated than was necessary.

Mark44 said:
Assuming someone knows the derivatives of all six circular trig functions, why would someone write ##\frac{d\tan(t)}{dt}## as ##\frac 1 {\cos^2(t)}## and not just go directly to ##\sec^2(t)##?
I'm not saying what was written was incorrect, just that it was more complicated than was necessary.
Where I come from ##sec## and ##csc## are not used at all. For someone like me the derivative of tangent is one over cosine squared.

martinbn said:
Where I come from ##sec## and ##csc## are not used at all. For someone like me the derivative of tangent is one over cosine squared.
I have taught college-level mathematics for 20+ years. Every calculus textbook I've ever seen presents all six circular trig functions as well as their derivatives.

Mark44 said:
I have taught college-level mathematics for 20+ years. Every calculus textbook I've ever seen presents all six circular trig functions as well as their derivatives.
Yes, and when I went to the US and thought calculus, I learned the notations for ##\frac1{\cos(x)}## and ##\frac1{\sin(x)}##. But where I grew up there were no such functions.

1. How do I know when to use trig substitution for an integral?

Trig substitution is typically used when the integral involves a square root of a quadratic expression, or when the integral involves a sum or difference of squares. Look for patterns that match the trigonometric identities to determine when trig substitution is appropriate.

2. What trigonometric identities should I use for trig substitution?

The most common trigonometric identities used for trig substitution are: sin^2(x) + cos^2(x) = 1, sec^2(x) - tan^2(x) = 1, and 1 + tan^2(x) = sec^2(x). These identities will help you simplify the integral and make it easier to solve.

3. How do I choose the appropriate trigonometric function for substitution?

When choosing the trigonometric function for substitution, consider the form of the integral and the terms involved. For example, if there is a square root of a quadratic expression, consider using secant or tangent substitution. Match the form of the integral with the appropriate trigonometric function.

4. What do I do after substituting with trigonometric functions?

After substituting with trigonometric functions, simplify the integral using trigonometric identities and algebraic manipulation. Try to express the integral in terms of a single trigonometric function, and then use trigonometric identities to simplify further. Finally, integrate the simplified expression to find the solution.

5. Are there any tips for solving integrals using trig substitution more efficiently?

Practice is key to becoming efficient at solving integrals using trig substitution. Familiarize yourself with common trigonometric identities and their applications in integration. Additionally, try to recognize patterns in integrals that signal the use of trig substitution, and approach each integral methodically to simplify and solve it effectively.