1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Help with using Excel

1. Oct 29, 2007 #1
    Does anyone know how to find the maximum of a graph using excel?

so i have this graph i plotted out, and i want to find the coordinates of the peak, is there a way to do it? or do i just have to estimate?

any help would be appreciated! thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2007 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Are you graphing from data arranged in columns?

4. Oct 31, 2007 #3
    yes... i have two columns

one column is the potential and the other one is the current

5. Oct 31, 2007 #4

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Highlight the column in question. Go to the pulldown menu "Data" and choose "Sort". The maxima will be the first (or last) value after sorting depending on whether you choose ascending or descending order.

6. Oct 31, 2007 #5
    hm..sorry i forgot to tell that this is a cyclic voltammogram

ya... that will work and it will give me the highest point, which is at the turning point for the potential scan (from cathode reaction to anode reaction). I want to find the peak cathodic current Ipc

7. Nov 1, 2007 #6

jim mcnamara

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The excel MAX() function will also do that kind of thing. If you need to interpolate somehow or find an inflection point I don't think there are predefined functions. You can write your own.

8. Nov 1, 2007 #7

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Look at this web site. You will notice that the maximum value is the Ipc. If that point is the turning point on your scan, you didn't scan to a high enough potential to see the peak. You still have to interpolate the baseline.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?