Find Maximum of Graph in Excel - Any Help Appreciated!

• Thread starter higherme
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Excel
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the maximum of a graph using Excel. It is suggested to use the "Sort" function in the "Data" menu, or the Excel MAX() function. However, for more specific tasks such as interpolating or finding an inflection point, one may need to write their own function. The website provided gives an example of finding the maximum value, which is the Ipc, and suggests that if the turning point on the scan is not visible, the scan may not have been taken at a high enough potential.
higherme
Does anyone know how to find the maximum of a graph using excel?

so i have this graph i plotted out, and i want to find the coordinates of the peak, is there a way to do it? or do i just have to estimate?

any help would be appreciated! thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you graphing from data arranged in columns?

yes... i have two columns

one column is the potential and the other one is the current

Highlight the column in question. Go to the pulldown menu "Data" and choose "Sort". The maxima will be the first (or last) value after sorting depending on whether you choose ascending or descending order.

hm..sorry i forgot to tell that this is a cyclic voltammogram

ya... that will work and it will give me the highest point, which is at the turning point for the potential scan (from cathode reaction to anode reaction). I want to find the peak cathodic current Ipc

The excel MAX() function will also do that kind of thing. If you need to interpolate somehow or find an inflection point I don't think there are predefined functions. You can write your own.

Look at http://www.chem.uic.edu/chem421/cv.PDF web site. You will notice that the maximum value is the Ipc. If that point is the turning point on your scan, you didn't scan to a high enough potential to see the peak. You still have to interpolate the baseline.

1. How can I find the maximum value on a graph in Excel?

To find the maximum value on a graph in Excel, you can use the MAX function. This function takes a range of cells as its argument and returns the maximum value within that range. You can also use the "Find and Select" feature to select and highlight the maximum value on the graph.

2. Can I find the maximum value for a specific data series on a graph in Excel?

Yes, you can use the MAX function to find the maximum value for a specific data series on a graph in Excel. Simply specify the range of cells for the specific data series as the argument for the MAX function.

3. Is there a way to automatically update the maximum value on a graph in Excel?

Yes, you can use the MAX function within a formula to automatically update the maximum value on a graph in Excel. Whenever the data in the graph is changed, the maximum value will be recalculated and updated accordingly.

4. Can I add a label to the maximum value on a graph in Excel?

Yes, you can add a label to the maximum value on a graph in Excel by using the "Add Data Labels" feature. This will display the value above or beside the data point on the graph.

5. Is there a way to find the maximum value on a graph in Excel without using a formula?

Yes, you can use the "Find and Select" feature to find the maximum value on a graph in Excel without using a formula. Simply select the data points on the graph and then use the "Find and Select" feature to highlight the maximum value.