Help with Work and Energy - File Attached

In summary, the Conversation is about a problem with an object that is striking a spring, and the person is asking for help to find a solution. The conversation covers how kinetic and gravitational potential energy are evaluated, and whether kinetic energy is a part of the solution.
men10024
Hi

I need help in work and energy

I Attached the File

tank's
:)

Attachments

• SOS.png
    SOS.png
    11.4 KB · Views: 471
Physics news on Phys.org
I need some help to help you. Would you mind posting some of the ideas that come to your mind in how to solve this. There are three types of energy in this problem: kinetic, gravitation potential, and spring potential. Which do you think are relevant? Where are the possible places that the energy can be?

I meaning kinetic energy and spring potential
The cube is to striking down the spring
:confused:

Has the question specified that there is no frictional force or drag forces? That is, is all gravitational potential energy being converted to kinetic and all kinetic being converted to spring potential?

Serac said:
Has the question specified that there is no frictional force or drag forces? That is, is all gravitational potential energy being converted to kinetic and all kinetic being converted to spring potential?
yes I believe that is what he means. What I meant to say is that do you see a role for kinetic energy in this question?

Initially, it is evaluated when the block is at rest. It then asks to find the maximum compression; when the block is also at rest.

dacruick said:
yes I believe that is what he means. What I meant to say is that do you see a role for kinetic energy in this question?

Initially, it is evaluated when the block is at rest. It then asks to find the maximum compression; when the block is also at rest.

No, I don't see a role for Kinetic energy, I was just going through the steps.

If you mean how much force it would be if it was just placed onto the spring, at that angle, then it would be weight of the object, in the horizontal direction. So, you would have to resolve the forces, then solve as a usual spring compression: F=kx.

If we are talking about letting it lose, then calculating it, it would be the change in gravitational potential is equal to the elastic potential energy acting on the spring, as it is all converted.

Moderator's note: let's let the OP post with an update on his/her progress before offering further help or hints.

Related to Help with Work and Energy - File Attached

What is work and energy?

Work and energy are two fundamental concepts in physics. Work is defined as the product of force and displacement, while energy is the ability to do work. They are closely related and can be interchanged in many situations.

How are work and energy related?

Work and energy are related through the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In other words, the work done on an object determines how much its energy changes.

What are the units of work and energy?

The SI unit for work is joule (J), which is equal to kilogram-meter squared per second squared (kg*m^2/s^2). The SI unit for energy is also joule. Other commonly used units for both work and energy include calorie, erg, and electronvolt.

How is work calculated?

Work is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force applied to an object by the displacement of the object in the direction of the force. This can be represented by the equation W = F*d*cos(theta), where W is work, F is force, d is displacement, and theta is the angle between the force and displacement vectors.

Can you provide an example of work and energy in real life?

One example of work and energy in real life is pushing a shopping cart. As you push the cart, you are applying a force to it, and it is being displaced in the direction of the force. This means you are doing work on the cart, and the cart's energy (kinetic energy) is increasing. Once you stop pushing, the cart will continue to move due to its energy.