Homework help regarding forces of friction and their directions

In summary, the discussion revolves around the direction of friction force on a slab and a block. While it is commonly known that the friction force on the block is pointed to the left, there is confusion over the direction of the friction force on the slab. Some believe it should also be pointed to the left, while others argue it should be to the right. The correct solution is that the friction force on the slab is indeed to the right, as it acts in the opposite direction of the motion of the slab. This may be confusing because the two surfaces are in contact, but it is important to remember that friction always opposes motion.
MechRocket
The Problem

http://img15.imgspot.com/u/07/118/16/friction.JPG

What I Think

http://img15.imgspot.com/u/07/118/16/think.JPG

The Correct Solution

http://img15.imgspot.com/u/07/118/16/solution.JPG

What Is Confusing Me

Shouldn't the force of friction on the slab be pointed to the left? I knew the force of friction on the block is pointed to the left (because friction will oppose movement), so I naturally assumed this force to the left also acts on the slab (the two surfaces are touching after all).

I just cannot see why the friction force on the slab is to the right.

Thanks a lot! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Picture instead of the slab remaining stationary and the block sliding right, the block standing still and i the slab is sliding left. . . then which direction will oppose motion direction?

I can explain the direction of the forces of friction in this scenario. First, let's define what friction is. Friction is a force that occurs when two surfaces are in contact and moving against each other. It always acts in the opposite direction of the movement, and its strength depends on the type of surfaces and the force pressing them together.

In this problem, the block and the slab are in contact and moving against each other. Therefore, the force of friction acts in the opposite direction of the movement, which is to the left for both the block and the slab. However, the force of friction also depends on the force pressing the surfaces together. In this case, the weight of the block is pressing down on the slab, creating a normal force (N) that is perpendicular to the surface of the slab.

The force of friction is directly proportional to the normal force, meaning that the stronger the normal force, the stronger the friction force. In this case, the normal force on the slab is stronger than the normal force on the block because the slab is larger and has a larger surface area in contact with the ground. Therefore, the force of friction on the slab is also stronger than the force of friction on the block, and it is pointing in the same direction as the movement of the slab, which is to the right.

I hope this explanation clears up any confusion you had about the direction of the forces of friction in this scenario. Remember, the direction of friction always opposes the movement, but its strength is also affected by the normal force between the surfaces. Keep up the good work with your homework!

1. What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities on the surface of objects.

2. How is friction related to the direction of motion?

The direction of friction is always opposite to the direction of motion. This means that if an object is moving to the right, the friction force will act to the left.

3. What factors affect the force of friction?

The force of friction is affected by the nature of the surfaces in contact, the normal force pushing the surfaces together, and the roughness of the surfaces.

4. How can the direction of friction be changed?

The direction of friction can be changed by changing the direction of motion or by changing the orientation of the surfaces in contact. For example, if an object is pulled at an angle, the friction force will act in a direction perpendicular to that angle.

5. How does friction affect the motion of an object?

Friction can either increase or decrease the motion of an object, depending on the situation. If the object is already in motion, friction can slow it down. However, friction can also help to start an object in motion by providing a force in the opposite direction of the applied force.