Hooke's Law, three serial springs

In summary, the conversation revolves around a question regarding Hooke's Law and the relationship between three spring constants. The individual has tried using the formula for two springs in series but is not sure if it applies to three springs. Another individual suggests using the formula twice and replacing the two spring constants with their equivalent ke. The conversation also discusses the derivation of the formula on Wikipedia and presents a simpler version of the derivation. In conclusion, the formula for the effective force constant can be written as 1 over the sum of 1/k1 to 1/kn.
Lore
Hello all, newbie here

Google led me to this thread:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=70094"
which happens to be basically my question. I am doing an investigation on Hooke's Law for my VCE Physics class (Australian year 12, senior school).

Thanks to wikipedia's derivation and lots of blank staring, I finally understand how the 1/Keq = 1/k1+1/k2 formula shows up (excuse the cruddy layout).
I tried to find the relationship between three spring constants, but I failed my workbook and google failed me :(

Can anybody help me?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you have the formula for two springs, use it for three. Take the first two, replace it by the effective spring constant. Now you're back to two "springs" in series--apply the formula again. See what happens.

Of course if you really understood the derivation for two springs, then you could apply the same logic directly to the three spring case.

I did try what I think you mean (simply adding 1/k3 at the end of the previous equation) and got a similar result to my expected final value, but I wasn't sure if that mean't that it worked - using such small numbers.

Unfortunately my understanding doesn't cover logic, only the way the maths worked. When i tried doing the maths via the same method I found myself cancelling out k values that I needed :S

Thanks again :)

Since you are confident that the formula for two springs in series works, just use it twice. Replace k1 & k2 by their equivalent ke. Now you have ke and k3 in series and you can apply the formula again.

Just like electronics :smile:

Hello!
Isnt the formula derivation on wikipedia way too advanced than it needs to be? Isnt it just possible to do like this:
The springs S1, S2,...,Sn, has spring coefficients K1, K2,...,Kn and Keq, and with length extensions X1, X2,...,Xn, and Xtot being to total length extension. Then:
[tex]X_{tot}=X_1+X_2+...+X_n[/tex]
but [tex]F_m=X_mK_m\rightarrow X_m=\frac{F_m}{K_m}[/tex]
thus[tex]\frac{F_{eq}}{K_{eq}}=\frac{F_1}{K_1}+...+\frac{F_n}{K_n}[/tex]
Feq being the reaction force on the whole spring from the force making to total extension. but if you neglect the springs masses, you will after some force investigation realize that Feq=F1=F2=...=Fn (since at each shift between two springs, the upper spring must hold all the lower springs+weight, which is the same force as only the weight). Thus:
[tex]\frac{1}{K_{eq}}=\frac{1}{K_1}+...+\frac{1}{K_n}[/tex]
hm I am not sure my motivation is totally correct, please correct me then

Last edited:
Little wonder it felt like I was beating my head against a wall..

You're absolutely correct (I think your last explanation was looking for the statement 'Fnet = 0'

The derivation on wikipedia was simply for two springs, so I think it was more a matter of proving it using the equations for that, but your version works much better :D

Also explains why it just keeps on going for many springs

Thankyou very much

Lore said:
Little wonder it felt like I was beating my head against a wall..

You're absolutely correct (I think your last explanation was looking for the statement 'Fnet = 0'

The derivation on wikipedia was simply for two springs, so I think it was more a matter of proving it using the equations for that, but your version works much better :D

Also explains why it just keeps on going for many springs

Thankyou very much
in fact, it(the effective force constant) can be written as 1 over summation 1/k

1. What is Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law is a principle in physics that states the force required to extend or compress a spring is directly proportional to the distance the spring is extended or compressed. This means that as the spring is stretched or compressed, the force applied to it increases or decreases accordingly.

2. Who discovered Hooke's Law?

Hooke's Law was discovered by English scientist Robert Hooke in the 17th century. He observed the relationship between the extension of a spring and the force applied to it and published his findings in his book "Lectures de Potentia Restitutiva" in 1678.

3. What are serial springs?

Serial springs refer to a system where multiple springs are connected end-to-end, with the first spring attached to a fixed point and the last spring attached to a load. This allows for an increased range of motion and a more gradual increase in force compared to a single spring.

4. How does Hooke's Law apply to three serial springs?

In a system with three serial springs, each spring follows Hooke's Law individually, but the overall force exerted by the system is the sum of the individual forces exerted by each spring. This means that as the springs are extended or compressed, the force increases or decreases in a linear fashion.

5. What is the formula for Hooke's Law?

The formula for Hooke's Law is F = -kx, where F is the force applied to the spring, k is the spring constant (a measure of the stiffness of the spring), and x is the displacement or change in length of the spring.