How much charge passes through a part of a circuit?

In summary, the amount of charge that passes through a specific part of a circuit is determined by the current and the amount of time the current flows. This can be calculated using the formula Q=I*t, where Q is the charge in coulombs, I is the current in amperes, and t is the time in seconds. The total charge passing through a circuit can also be found by adding up the individual charges passing through each component in the circuit. This concept is essential in understanding the behavior and functionality of electrical circuits.
Boxcutter
Suppose the the two capacitors are charged fully before the switch is closed, how much charge will pass through the switch when we close it?

http://home.student.uu.se/daja8643/elec2.JPG

I've been trying for a long time but I'm lost. All help I could get would be appreciated.

/Daniel

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I would start by considering that the two capacitors really only form one without the switch closed. Can you determine the initial charge?

The amount of charge that passes through a part of a circuit depends on the current flowing through that part and the time interval during which the current flows. The equation Q=It, where Q is the charge, I is the current, and t is the time interval, can be used to calculate the amount of charge passing through a circuit.

In the given circuit, the capacitors are initially fully charged, so there is no current flowing through them. When the switch is closed, the capacitors will discharge and the current will flow through the switch. The amount of charge passing through the switch will depend on the value of the capacitors and the time interval during which the current flows.

To calculate the charge passing through the switch, you will need to know the capacitance of the capacitors and the resistance of the switch. You can then use the equation Q=CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance, and V is the voltage across the capacitor. The voltage across the capacitor can be calculated using the equation V=IR, where I is the current and R is the resistance of the switch.

In summary, the amount of charge passing through the switch when it is closed can be calculated using the equations Q=It, Q=CV, and V=IR, where I is the current, t is the time interval, C is the capacitance, R is the resistance, and V is the voltage. It is important to note that the amount of charge passing through the switch will depend on the specific values of the components in the circuit and the time interval during which the switch is closed.

1. How is charge measured in a circuit?

In a circuit, charge is measured in units of coulombs (C). One coulomb is equal to the charge of 6.24 x 10^18 electrons.

2. What is the equation for calculating charge passing through a part of a circuit?

The equation for calculating charge is Q = I x t, where Q is the charge in coulombs, I is the current in amps, and t is the time in seconds.

3. How does the amount of charge passing through a circuit affect the electrical current?

The amount of charge passing through a circuit is directly proportional to the electrical current. This means that as the charge increases, the current also increases, and vice versa.

4. Can the charge passing through a circuit be negative?

Yes, charge passing through a circuit can be negative. This occurs when the current is flowing in the opposite direction of the conventional current flow, which is from positive to negative.

5. How does the charge passing through a circuit affect the voltage?

The charge passing through a circuit does not directly affect the voltage. However, the voltage can affect the amount of charge that passes through a circuit. Higher voltage means more energy, which can result in more charge being passed through the circuit.