How much heat energy is produced when a steel ball falls into sand?

In summary: I can solve the problem now.In summary, a steel ball falls from a height of 20m into a pile of sand. If 1/2 of the energy ends up as heat in the ball, the amount of heat energy gained is equal to half of the work done on the ball by gravity, and this is independent of the mass of the ball. The specific heat capacity of steel is needed to solve for the temperature change.
biamin
A steel ball falls from a height of 20m into a pile of sand. If 1/2 the energy ends up i as heat in the ball,m how much is the ball heated?

I am starting out with the work equation.
Work = force * displacement.
Work = 9.81m/s^2(20m)
Work = 196.2 m^2/s^2

I am having trouble relating this to a Joule or calorie or some type of heat energy.

Thanks for any help

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF biamin!

You forgot the mass (m) in F = mg. The force you used just had g in it, but no mass. So it wasn't really a force at all, and that's why the units weren't working out for you.

unfortunately the problem gives no mass for the steel ball. I am not sure how to approach the problem.

The only other formula I can think of to use is the one for potential energy (mass*gravity*height) but that has a mass in it as well.

Any thoughts?

biamin said:
unfortunately the problem gives no mass for the steel ball. I am not sure how to approach the problem.

The only other formula I can think of to use is the one for potential energy (mass*gravity*height) but that has a mass in it as well.

Yeah, in fact, that's not even really a different method. After all, using work = force*distance, you'd get force = mg, and distance = h, hence work = mgh. This makes sense, since the work done by gravity is always the negative of the change in potential energy.

biamin said:
Any thoughts?

It doesn't seem to me like you have enough information to get a numerical answer. Express the amount of energy in terms of the unknown mass, m, and move on?

EDIT: I just had a thought. Maybe the question is asking for the temperature change of the ball?? Since the temperature change resulting from a given amount of heat also depends on m, the m's will cancel from both sides of the equation (in other words, the result will be independent of mass, since more massive balls would require more heat to increase in temperature by the same amount, but they would also have more work done on them by gravity, and these two effects would exactly cancel). So you'd have something like:

heat energy gained = 1/2 work done on ball

Q = ½W

mcΔT = ½mgh

where c is the specific heat capacity of steel in J/(g°C) , which you just have to look up. You can see that mass doesn't matter for the end result.

Thanks Cepheid,

The specific heat capacity was the bit of information I was needing to add to the equation.

Related to How much heat energy is produced when a steel ball falls into sand?

1. What is the difference between heat and energy?

Heat is a form of energy that is transferred from one object to another due to a temperature difference. Energy, on the other hand, is the ability to do work or cause change. Heat is one type of energy, but there are many other forms such as light, sound, and electrical energy.

2. How is heat transferred?

Heat can be transferred in three ways: conduction, convection, and radiation. Conduction is the transfer of heat through direct contact between two objects. Convection is the transfer of heat through the movement of fluids, such as air or water. Radiation is the transfer of heat through electromagnetic waves.

3. What is the difference between temperature and heat?

Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance, while heat is the total amount of thermal energy contained in a substance. In other words, temperature tells us how hot or cold something is, while heat tells us how much thermal energy is being transferred.

4. How is energy conserved in a heat transfer process?

The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In a heat transfer process, energy is conserved because the total amount of energy remains constant, even though it may change forms (e.g. from thermal energy to mechanical energy).

5. How does insulation affect heat transfer?

Insulation is a material that resists the transfer of heat. It works by creating a barrier between two objects with different temperatures, reducing the amount of heat that is transferred between them. This is why insulation is commonly used in buildings to keep heat inside during the winter and outside during the summer.