How to measure a magnifying glass (I want to build a telescope)

In summary, when building a telescope, it is important to consider the type of lens being used. For a refracting telescope, an achromatic or apochromatic lens is recommended to minimize chromatic aberration. It is also important to have a budget and specific purpose in mind, as well as access to necessary equipment and tools. Further research is recommended to gather more specific information and ask more targeted questions for helpful answers.
Avijit Palit
I want to build a telescope and want to know which type of lense is better suit for this.
Please anyone help...

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Avijit Palit said:
I want to build a telescope and want to know which type of lense is better suit for this.
Plz anyone help...
You will have to tell us more before we can give you any helpful answers. What do you want to use this telescope for? What is your budget, in time and money? What are your mechanical skills? What equipment and tools do you have access to?

There's an enormous amount of information here and elsewhere on the Internet; do more investigation and come back with more specific questions, and we will be able to help.

For a refracting telescope, which is what you imply, you certainly want to start with an achromatic or better yet an apochromatic lens. While multielement lenses are not cheap vs a single element lens they are necessary to reign in chromatic aberation, which would otherwise be intolerable.

1. How do I determine the magnification power of a magnifying glass?

The magnification power of a magnifying glass can be determined by dividing the focal length of the lens by the focal length of the eye. This can be done by using a ruler to measure the distance from the lens to the object and the distance from the lens to the eye. The magnification power is then calculated as the ratio of these two distances.

2. What is the best way to measure the focal length of a magnifying glass?

The most accurate way to measure the focal length of a magnifying glass is to use a lensometer. This device measures the curvature of the lens and can provide an accurate measurement of the focal length. Alternatively, you can also use a thin beam of light and measure the distance from the lens to the point where the light converges to determine the focal length.

3. How can I determine the aperture size of a magnifying glass?

The aperture size of a magnifying glass can be measured by using a ruler to measure the diameter of the lens. The aperture size is typically expressed in millimeters and can vary depending on the size and type of the magnifying glass.

4. Can I use a magnifying glass to build a telescope?

Yes, you can use a magnifying glass to build a simple telescope. The magnifying glass can act as the objective lens, while a smaller lens or eyepiece can be used as the eyepiece. However, the magnification power of such a telescope will be limited and may not provide a clear or detailed view of distant objects.

5. Are there any other factors to consider when measuring a magnifying glass?

In addition to the focal length, magnification power, and aperture size, it is important to also consider the quality of the lens and the type of glass used. The curvature and thickness of the lens can also affect its magnifying properties. It is best to use a high-quality magnifying glass made of optical glass for accurate measurements and building a telescope.