How to Set Up an Online Observatory?

• Thread starter damajikninja
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Assistance
In summary, the speaker is researching ways to set up an online observatory and is seeking assistance from the community. They have questions about the type of telescope, imager/camera, software, housing, and cost for the project. The speaker acknowledges that the project will be challenging and expensive, and they plan to start by researching and learning more about the necessary equipment and techniques.
damajikninja
Greetings!

I am researching ways to set up an online observatory. I am not very familiar with telescopes, so I thought I would ask for the assistance of this community.

Here are my questions currently:
  • What kind of telescope should I get? I'd like to image planets, comets, galaxies, etc.
  • What kind of imager/camera should I get?
  • What software do I need to drive the online controls? The scope will be used by a community of people, not just myself.
  • What should I consider for housing? The telescope will be left mostly unattended, and needs to be able to image the entire sky.
  • How much can I expect to pay for everything?

I am sure I will have more questions as I go along, and would really appreciate your help. There are surely other people that would benefit from this information as well.

Thanks in advance!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You've basically told us you want a telescope that can do everything, do it well, and do it remotely. Such versatility does not come easy or cheap, as imaging systems are specialized. A camera and telescope that works well for planets is wholly unsuitable for galaxies, for example.

If I were to design as inexpensive of a system as I can that can still do what you ask, I would expect to pay anywhere on the order of $50,000-$150,000.

For starters, you'll need (very rough guesses):

A good mount - $5,000-$15,000
Two good telescopes - $3,000-$10,000 each
Two good cameras - $2,000-$10,000 each
Filter wheels, electronic focusers and other automation accessories - $1,000-$10,000
A weather detection system and software - $2,000?
A computer with a good and permanent internet connection - $1,000 + $50/month
Observatory dome/shed - $10,000

I suggest starting by flipping through Sky and Telescope magazine, reading reviews, learning about what it takes to make good images. For a complete novice, this is an enormous, if not impossible undertaking.

Last edited:

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out to our community for assistance with setting up an online observatory. We are happy to help and share our knowledge and experience with you.

Firstly, when it comes to choosing a telescope for imaging planets, comets, and galaxies, there are a few factors to consider. The most important one is the aperture, which determines the telescope's light-gathering ability. For planetary imaging, a telescope with a larger aperture (around 8-10 inches) would be ideal, while for deep-sky objects like galaxies, a larger aperture (12-16 inches) would be more suitable. Additionally, you may want to consider a telescope with a long focal length for better magnification and image quality.

For the imager/camera, we recommend using a dedicated astronomical camera. These cameras are specifically designed for astrophotography and offer better sensitivity and resolution compared to regular digital cameras. Some popular brands include ZWO, QHY, and Celestron.

In terms of software, there are a few options available for controlling the telescope and imaging. Stellarium is a popular free software that allows you to control the telescope and plan your observations. For more advanced features, you may want to consider purchasing software such as Maxim DL or Sequence Generator Pro.

When it comes to housing for your telescope, you will need a sturdy and weather-resistant structure to protect it from the elements. This could be a dome, a roll-off roof observatory, or a permanent outdoor enclosure. Make sure to also consider the location of your observatory, as light pollution can affect your images.

The cost for setting up an online observatory can vary greatly depending on the equipment and software you choose. A rough estimate for a basic setup could range from $3000-$5000, but it can go up to tens of thousands of dollars for a more advanced setup.

We hope this information helps you get started on setting up your online observatory. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask. We are happy to assist you in any way we can.

Best of luck with your project!

Related to How to Set Up an Online Observatory?

1. What is "Online Observatory Assistance"?

"Online Observatory Assistance" refers to the use of digital tools and resources to aid scientists in conducting observations and gathering data from astronomical observatories located around the world.

2. How does "Online Observatory Assistance" work?

Scientists can access online observatory assistance through various platforms such as web portals or virtual control rooms. They can remotely control telescopes, cameras, and other instruments located at the observatory, and receive real-time data and images from their observations.

3. What are the benefits of using "Online Observatory Assistance"?

There are many benefits to using online observatory assistance, including the ability to access and utilize advanced equipment and expertise from anywhere in the world, cost savings in travel and accommodation, and increased efficiency in observation and data collection.

4. Can anyone use "Online Observatory Assistance"?

In most cases, access to online observatory assistance is limited to trained scientists and researchers who have been granted permission and access by the observatory or institution managing the equipment. However, there are some online observatories that offer public access for educational or outreach purposes.

5. Is "Online Observatory Assistance" reliable?

Yes, online observatory assistance is a reliable and widely used method of conducting astronomical observations. The equipment and instruments used are regularly maintained and calibrated, and the data collected is subject to rigorous analysis and verification processes to ensure accuracy.