How to Integrate ∫x(x^{2}+1.44)^{-1/2}(dx) with a Clever Substitution?

• Thread starter Nathanael
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integrate
In summary, the conversation discusses various methods of integration, including recognizing antiderivatives and using substitutions. The use of substitutions is mentioned as a way to potentially solve integrals without relying on antiderivatives. However, the conversation also acknowledges that finding antiderivatives is often the most effective method. The concept of definite integrals is also briefly mentioned, including how it can be used to calculate integrals with no elementary antiderivative.
Nathanael
Homework Helper
∫x(x[itex]^{2}[/itex]+1.44)[itex]^{-1/2}[/itex](dx)The only technique of integration I know of is to recognize the antiderivative (which I can do for this one but) I'm tired of being limited by antiderivatives.I was wondering how would you go about solving this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried a substitution?

Nathanael said:
∫x(x[itex]^{2}[/itex]-1.44)[itex]^{-1/2}[/itex](dx)

The only technique of integration I know of is to recognize the antiderivative (which I can do for this one but) I'm tired of being limited by antiderivatives.

I was wondering how would you go about solving this?

If you are tired of antiderivatives, you are tired of integration. The basic way we do integration is by finding antiderivatives or else---when we cannot find them---using infinite series or approximations of various kinds.

jbunniii said:
Have you tried a substitution?

I don't know what that is. What's the general idea behind substitutions?

Edit: Sorry if this is basic and I'm wasting your time, it's just that I've never seen a single method other than anti-derivatives.

Nathanael said:
I don't know what that is. What's the general idea behind substitutions?

Edit: Sorry if this is basic and I'm wasting your time, it's just that I've never seen a single method other than anti-derivatives.
You haven't seen a method of solution that starts with "let ##u = \ldots##"?

Please don't get me wrong, I really am trying to be helpful. But I think you should read a basic calculus text. Or watch some Khan Academy videos on integration. None of the explanations we give will be helpful to you if you don't read read up on integration first.

jbunniii said:
You haven't seen a method of solution that starts with "let ##u = \ldots##"?
Oh, yes, but isn't that just a (more "careful") way of finding the antiderivative?

micromass said:
Please don't get me wrong, I really am trying to be helpful. But I think you should read a basic calculus text. Or watch some Khan Academy videos on integration. None of the explanations we give will be helpful to you if you don't read read up on integration first.
I understand the concept of integration pretty well (this integral comes from a physics question). I can find correct integrals easily, it's just that I don't know any computational techniques (except for one). I was under the impression that there are various ways to compute an integral, and was just curious about an alternate way.

micromass said:
None of the explanations we give will be helpful to you if you don't read read up on integration first.
No explanation has even been given so how do you know that?...
Besides, I didn't post this with the intention of being taught a whole new idea step by step, I simply wanted to be introduced to a new concept that I could explore by myself.

But perhaps my impression (of there being multiple ways to compute integrals) was wrong.

Nathanael said:
Oh, yes, but isn't that just a (more "careful") way of finding the antiderivative?
Sure, but it's an important enough technique that it's usually the first thing to try unless the antiderivative is obvious.

So looking at your problem, what is a good candidate for "let ##u = \ldots##"?

Nathanael said:
I was under the impression that there are various ways to compute an integral, and was just curious about an alternate way.

There are. One can for example use the Residue theorem, the parity properties of functions, numerical methods and various other methods to calculate (some) definite integrals. However, calculating the indefinite integral of a function means finding the function(s) whose derivative the integrand is -- its antiderivative. So, one way or another, that's what you're doing.

Last edited:
DeIdeal said:
There are. One can for example use the Residue theorem, the parity properties of functions, numerical methods and various other methods to calculate (some) definite integrals. However, calculating the indefinite integral of a function means finding the function(s) whose derivative the integrand is -- its antiderivative. So, one way or another, that's what you're doing.
Ahh, I should have said, in the physical problem I only need to integrate it from x=1 to x=3.
So this limitation could open up more ways of integrating it?

I guess it would probably be unneccessarily difficult to do it an alternate way, wouldn't it?

jbunniii said:
Sure, but it's an important enough technique that it's usually the first thing to try unless the antiderivative is obvious.

So looking at your problem, what is a good candidate for "let ##u = \ldots##"?
I would suspect u=(x[itex]^{2}+1.44)[/itex] but I don't understand how that does any good.

edit: I suppose the proper way to solve this would be? to recognize that x is the derivative of (x[itex]^{2}+1.44)[/itex] and so [itex](x^{2}+1.44)^{1/2}[/itex] should be proportional to the answer (and the constant of proportionality just happens to be 1) ?

Last edited:
Nathanael said:
Ahh, I should have said, in the physical problem I only need to integrate it from x=1 to x=3.
So this limitation could open up more ways of integrating it?

I guess it would probably be unneccessarily difficult to do it an alternate way, wouldn't it?

It would most likely make it more difficult indeed, especially considering the integrand has a simple and elementary antiderivative. One of the advantages of the "tricks" you can do with definite integrals is that they might allow calculating a definite integral even if the integrand has no elementary antiderivative: The canonical example is [itex]\exp(-x^2)[/itex] whose antiderivative is non-elementary, even though [itex]\intop_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp(-x^2)\mathrm{d}x=\sqrt{\pi}[/itex] is something that's easy to calculate. But typically if the answer is as simple as it is in this case, simply finding the antiderivative with the "usual" methods is the most effective way of doing things.

EDIT: Also, check the first post. I think there might be a - that's supposed to be a + in your integrand.

Likes 1 person
DeIdeal said:
It would most likely make it more difficult indeed, especially considering the integrand has a simple and elementary antiderivative. One of the advantages of the "tricks" you can do with definite integrals is that they might allow calculating a definite integral even if the integrand has no elementary antiderivative: The canonical example is [itex]\exp(-x^2)[/itex] whose antiderivative is non-elementary, even though [itex]\intop_{-\infty}^{\infty} \exp(-x^2)\mathrm{d}x=\sqrt{\pi}[/itex] is something that's easy to calculate. But typically if the answer is as simple as it is in this case, simply finding the antiderivative with the "usual" methods is the most effective way of doing things.

EDIT: Also, check the first post. I think there might be a - that's supposed to be a + in your integrand.
Thank you, and yes, you're right, I meant to put +1.44

Nathanael said:
I would suspect u=(x[itex]^{2}+1.44)[/itex] but I don't understand how that does any good.

edit: I suppose the proper way to solve this would be? to recognize that x is the derivative of (x[itex]^{2}+1.44)[/itex] and so [itex](x^{2}+1.44)^{1/2}[/itex] should be proportional to the answer (and the constant of proportionality just happens to be 1) ?
Here is the usual way of expressing it:

Let ##u = x^2 + 1.44##. Then ##du = 2x dx##. Therefore, ##x dx = \frac{1}{2}du##. Substituting into
$$\int \frac{x}{(x^2 + 1.44)^{1/2}}dx$$
we obtain
$$\frac{1}{2}\int \frac{du}{u^{1/2}}$$
In this way, we have transformed the problem into one whose antiderivative is known at a glance. We calculate that antiderivative (a function of ##u##), and then substitute ##u = x^2 + 1.44## into the result.

If this had been a definite integral, we would also have to compute the new endpoints for the integral with respect to ##u##, or wait until we transform the answer back into a function of ##x## before applying the endpoints.

Likes 1 person

Related to How to Integrate ∫x(x^{2}+1.44)^{-1/2}(dx) with a Clever Substitution?

1. How would you integrate this data into our current system?

Integrating data into a current system involves identifying the necessary data points, determining the best method of integration, and ensuring compatibility between systems. This process may include creating new APIs or modifying existing ones.

2. What steps would you take to ensure the accuracy of the integration?

To ensure accuracy, I would conduct thorough testing and validation of the data before and after integration. This may involve comparing data from different sources, checking for any discrepancies, and implementing data cleansing techniques if necessary.

3. How long would it take to complete the integration process?

The timeframe for integration depends on the complexity of the data and systems involved. It may take a few days to a few weeks to complete the process, including testing and troubleshooting. Clear communication and collaboration between teams can help expedite the process.

4. Can you integrate this data without disrupting our current system?

Yes, careful planning and testing can ensure a smooth integration without disrupting the current system. It is important to identify potential risks and have contingency plans in place in case any issues arise during the integration process.

5. How do you handle data security during integration?

Data security is a top priority during integration. I would follow industry best practices and protocols, such as encrypting sensitive data and limiting access to authorized users, to ensure the security and privacy of the data being integrated.