I with chemical equilibrium problems

In summary, the conversation discusses an equation with the reaction aA + bB ----> cC + dD and an equilibrium constant, K. The problem is to find the value of B, given the values of A, C, D and K. The solution involves using the equilibrium constant equation and setting up the problem step by step. Additional resources are also requested for further understanding.
allistair3421
1. okay so the equation is:
3A+2B---->C+D
K=1.00x10(to the negative third power)
A=9.5-M C=0.0200-M D=0.0200 what is B ?

3. the answer is either 1.24: 0.0216: : 0.00180 : or 0.110
(i don't remember) so what i don't get is HOW DO I SET UP THE PROBLEM? :confused:

go step by step if you can and if you know some sites that would help post those too o_O

Physics news on Phys.org
If you have some chemical reaction:

aA + bB ----> cC + dD

At equilibrium, the concentration of A, B, C and D are related to the equilibrium constant, K:

[tex]
K = \frac{[C]^c [D]^b}{[A]^a ^b}
[/tex]

Where a, b, c and d are the stoichiometric coefficients.

How can you apply this to the given problem?

1. What is chemical equilibrium?

Chemical equilibrium is a state in a chemical reaction where the rate of the forward reaction is equal to the rate of the reverse reaction, resulting in no net change in the concentrations of reactants and products.

2. How is equilibrium achieved in a chemical reaction?

Equilibrium is achieved when the concentration of reactants and products remain constant over time. This can occur when the forward and reverse reactions reach equal rates, or when the reaction reaches a point where it is no longer spontaneous.

3. How do I determine if a reaction is at equilibrium?

A reaction is at equilibrium when the concentrations of reactants and products remain constant over time. This can be determined experimentally by measuring the concentrations of reactants and products at different time intervals and seeing if they remain constant.

4. What factors can affect chemical equilibrium?

Temperature, pressure, and concentration can all affect chemical equilibrium. Changes in these factors can shift the equilibrium to favor either the forward or reverse reaction, resulting in a change in the concentrations of reactants and products.

5. How can I manipulate chemical equilibrium to favor a certain reaction?

Le Chatelier's principle states that if a stress is applied to a system at equilibrium, the system will shift in a direction that reduces the stress. This means that by changing the temperature, pressure, or concentration of the system, you can manipulate the equilibrium to favor a certain reaction.