IB Math Methods- Problems with Problems

In summary, the conversation discusses solving two equations involving exponents, one with e and one with e^2x. It is important to group exponents with parentheses to avoid confusion. For the first problem, it is necessary to distribute correctly and solve for e^2x. For the second problem, it is helpful to remember that e^2x can be written as (ex)^2 and to use the natural logarithm function to solve for e^2x.
Astronomer107
I have a few problems:
Solve
32^2x = e
e^2x +1

I cross multiplied and got 3e^2x = e(e^2x + 1) Then:
3e^2x = e^2x+e And now I don't know what to do from here...

2. Solve

e^2x - 5e+x + 6 = 0

This one can't be factored, so does the quadratic equation work here? If so, how is it done with "e"?

Physics news on Phys.org
First, I'd double check and make sure you wrote both of these equations correctly. I think you've made at least two typos. Also, you have to group your exponents with parentheses. i.e.:

e^2x = e2x = e2 * x
but
e^(2x) = e2x

People will still understand what you mean, but you should always strive to write things correctly instead of relying on people to read your mind. Generally, you should avoid ever writing e^2x, even if you are using it correctly, because it can generate confusion.

Some things to consider for the first problem:

Did you distribute right?

Can you solve the equation for e2x?

For the second problem:

Once you get the right statement of the problem, consider that e2x = (ex)2

Last edited:
Like Hurkyl, I would say that e^2x is almost certainly intended to be e^(2x), but I would not be nearly so sure about e^2x+1 !

Is that intended to be e^(2x)+ 1 or e^(2x+1)? I would say either was likely and they are very different.

IF it were 3e^(2x)/(e^(2x+1)) = e, the left side reduces to
3e^(2x-(2x+1))= 3 e^(-1) which is not e so I guess that was not intended!

3e^(2x)/(e^(2x)+1)= e gives, after you multiply both sides by that denominator, 3e^(2x)= e(e^(2x)+1)= e*e^(2x)+ e. Now, like you learned to do long ago, subtract that e*e^(2x) from both sides to get x on only one side of the equation.

You should now have 3e^(2x)- e e^(2x)= (3-e)e^(2x)= e.

If you have an equation of the form Ax= B, you would divide both sides by A wouldn't you? Okay, divide both sides of the equation by
3-e to get e^(2x)= e/(3-e).

Now the "new" part. How do you get rid of that "e^ " part?
Well, natural logarithm, ln(x) is DEFINED as the inverse (opposite) of e^x. What happens if you take ln of both sides of the equation?

1. What is IB Math Methods and why do students often struggle with it?

IB Math Methods is a course offered by the International Baccalaureate (IB) program that covers advanced topics in mathematics, including calculus, algebra, and statistics. Many students struggle with this course because it requires a deep understanding of mathematical concepts and the ability to apply them to complex problems.

2. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in IB Math Methods?

To improve your problem-solving skills in IB Math Methods, it is important to practice regularly and seek help from your teacher or classmates when needed. You can also try breaking down problems into smaller, more manageable parts and using different strategies to approach them.

3. What are some common mistakes students make when solving problems in IB Math Methods?

Some common mistakes students make when solving problems in IB Math Methods include misinterpreting the problem, using incorrect formulas or methods, and making calculation errors. It is important to carefully read and understand the problem, double-check your work, and show all steps in your solution.

4. How can I prepare for IB Math Methods exams and assessments?

To prepare for IB Math Methods exams and assessments, make sure you have a strong understanding of the course material by regularly attending class, completing practice problems, and seeking help when needed. It can also be helpful to review past exams and work on timed practice tests to get used to the format and pacing.

5. What resources are available to help with IB Math Methods?

There are many resources available to help with IB Math Methods, including textbooks, online tutorials and practice problems, study guides, and tutoring services. Your teacher or school may also provide additional resources and support. It is important to utilize these resources and seek help when needed to improve your understanding of the course material.