1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal Gas Law - Differential Approximation due to variable increase in %.

1. Oct 29, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This is a problem form my calculus book, which states:

According to the ideal gas law, the pressure, temperature, and volume of a confined gas are related by P=kT/V, where K is a constant. Use differentials to approximate the percentage change in pressure if the temperature of a gas is increased 3% and the volume is increased 5%.

3. The attempt at a solution

Here, I include my original attempt at the solution and a solution that I found online. In my original solution, I found the answer to be 2%, but the solution says 4%. I'm not sure why... but I think it's related to something I don't understand in the actual solution, where it seems to me, they divide by 1/2 for no apparent logical reason.

Could someone please explain to me where my logic is flawed?
    attachment.php?attachmentid=40470&d=1319929174.jpg

Here is a solution I found online to the same problem, perhaps it's more clear.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=40468&d=1319927946.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2011 #2
    Edited to make images easier to see. (Sorry.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook