Ideal Gas Law, Pressure equilibrium

In summary: OUNT = P V / RT( n = P V / RT )In summary, there are two questions involving the same information. The first question asks to calculate the pressure in container A when heated to 400.15 Kelvin, which has been solved. The second question asks for the final equilibrium pressure of the system when the valve is opened while maintaining temperatures of 400.15 Kelvin and 300.15 Kelvin in containers A and B, respectively. The approach for solving this question is to determine the initial and final amounts of gas in each container and set them equal to each other to find the unknown pressure, using the equation AMOUNT = P V / RT.
pengy44
Ok so I just need help with clarifying in how I should attempt to solve this problem. There's two question involving the same information. I've solved the first question but need help with setting up the second one.

Here is the problem:
Two containers, A and B are filled with argon. The containers are connected by a pipe of negligible volume, but initially a valve in this pipe is CLOSED. Here are the given information:

Temperature of A and B = 300.15 Kelvin
Volume(A) = 0.05 cubic meters
Volume(B) = 0.15 cubic meters
Pressure in A and B = 101326.5 Pascals

Here is a rough drawing of the picture
l___l l_________l

Questions 1:
With the valve still shut, A is now heated up to 400.15 Kelvin while the temperature of B maintains at 300.15 Kelvin. The volumes remains the same. Calculate the pressure in A at 400.15 Kelvin.

(For this question, I manage to find the pressure at 400.15 Kelvin which is 135085.1 Pascal by using the equation (PV)/T=(PV)/T. So we can skip this question.)

Question 2:
The valve in the connecting tube is now OPENED while A and B are each maintained at 400.15 Kelvin and 300.15 Kelvin, respectively. What will the final (equilibrium) pressure of the system?

(I'm having problems with this question, I'm not sure on how to set it up. I was thinking of finding the new pressure for container A and then the pressure for container B. Then just average them for the equilibrium.)

It seems like there's a lot of information here but really I just need help with how to begin solving question 2. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
pengy44 said:
Ok so I just need help with clarifying in how I should attempt to solve this problem. There's two question involving the same information. I've solved the first question but need help with setting up the second one.

Here is the problem:
Two containers, A and B are filled with argon. The containers are connected by a pipe of negligible volume, but initially a valve in this pipe is CLOSED. Here are the given information:

Temperature of A and B = 300.15 Kelvin
Volume(A) = 0.05 cubic meters
Volume(B) = 0.15 cubic meters
Pressure in A and B = 101326.5 Pascals

Question 2:
The valve in the connecting tube is now OPENED while A and B are each maintained at 400.15 Kelvin and 300.15 Kelvin, respectively. What will the final (equilibrium) pressure of the system?

(I'm having problems with this question, I'm not sure on how to set it up. I was thinking of finding the new pressure for container A and then the pressure for container B. Then just average them for the equilibrium.)
First you have to determine how many moles are on each side initially and then determine how many moles there must be on each side in order to equalize pressure. That last part is the tricky one.

Write out the expression for the number of moles of gas on each side initially. What is the total amount of gas? Does that change?

Write out the expression for the total amount of gas in the system after the pipe opens and pressure equalizes by writing out the expression for the n for each side and then adding them together.

That will give you an expression containing only one unknown, P. (You know n_total, Va, Vb, Ta, Tb).

AM

Related to Ideal Gas Law, Pressure equilibrium

1. What is the Ideal Gas Law?

The Ideal Gas Law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is represented by the formula PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

2. What is an ideal gas?

An ideal gas is a theoretical gas that follows the Ideal Gas Law at all temperatures and pressures. It is characterized by having particles that have no volume and do not interact with each other.

3. How does pressure equilibrium relate to the Ideal Gas Law?

Pressure equilibrium refers to the state in which the pressure on both sides of a container is equal. This is related to the Ideal Gas Law because it states that the product of pressure and volume is directly proportional to the number of moles and temperature. Therefore, if the pressure on both sides of the container is equal, the volume, number of moles, or temperature must also be equal to maintain equilibrium.

4. What is the effect of temperature and volume on pressure according to the Ideal Gas Law?

According to the Ideal Gas Law, an increase in temperature will result in an increase in pressure if the volume and number of moles are held constant. Similarly, a decrease in volume will result in an increase in pressure if the temperature and number of moles are held constant.

5. How is the Ideal Gas Law used in real-world applications?

The Ideal Gas Law is used in many real-world applications, such as in the design of gas storage tanks and the calculation of gas volumes in chemical reactions. It is also used in weather forecasting and the study of Earth's atmosphere. Additionally, it is used in the development of gas laws, which are used to predict the behavior of real gases.