1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Ideal Gas Law Problem (Please help )

1. Jan 26, 2012 #1
    Ideal Gas Law Problem (Please help!!)

Show that if the temperature in the atmosphere is independent of altitude, then the pressure as a function of altitude y is

p=(p initial)e^(-mgt/kT)

Where m is the average mass per molecule of air.

I really have no idea where to start. Please help!!!! Thank you so much!!!

I thought maybe you use the ideal gas law and manipulate the variables to get it to match. I tried, but I couldn't get anywhere. Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 26, 2012 #2
    Re: Ideal Gas Law Problem (Please help!!)

Try deriving a differential equation for P by using the ideal gas law and calculating the pressure from above and below for a slither of air

Also in the function you gave p is constant as a function of y (fix this and try using h instead of y this might trigger something)

4. Jan 26, 2012 #3
    Re: Ideal Gas Law Problem (Please help!!)

Thank you for your response, but I still can't figure out what to do. Find the rate of change of pressure with respect to h, right? doesn't that wind up as a constant if I'm using p=p+gy? That probably makes no sense lol, but I thought I'd show that I attempted to figure it out. I would really appreciate some more help and/or directly what I need to do to get started please!!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook