If gate (NMOS) is connected to Ground how is current able to flow

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit involving a MOSFET where the gate is connected to ground. The confusion arises as to how current can flow in the circuit without a positive gate voltage. It is determined that the FET in the attached figure is a PMOS, and adding 5 volts to all three nodes would not change the circuit's behavior. Additionally, it is noted that the transistor is in triode region and can conduct in strong inversion when the gate to source voltage is greater than the threshold voltage. The negative Vss allows for the nMOS to turn on in this circuit.
PalmTreeSD
I am confused about this example circuit (attached) where the Gate it connected to Ground.
I thought in order for current to flow in a MOSFET (i.e. NMOS) a positive gate voltage (Vg) AND Vds (drain to source voltage) needs to be applied. If Vg = 0, how is a channel created in order to allow current to flow in this circuit if this is not a depletion-type MOSFET?
I only have a guess as to how it is possible for current to be able to flow.

Thanks in advance

scan0007.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Looks like a typo, the FET in your attached figure is a PMOS.

Err, I was about to link you to this wiki page

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOSFET#Circuit_symbols

when I realized the symbol in your assignment very much resembles what they call a N-channel MOSFET enh (no bulk) on that wiki page. I thought arrow pointing out always meant PMOS, but apparently not ... ?

(At least my advice is cheap.)

Why don't you add 5 volts to all three nodes--it will change nothing but voltage offsets, and see how it looks.

Um, the grounded gate is 5 volts positive as compared to Vss (-5v)
If you think of it as:
Vdd = 10v
Vgate = 5v
Vss = 0v
does that explain it better?

Paul, the 60 year old student

It is Ok. The transistor is NMOS and it is operating in triode region. For transistor to conduct in strong inversion, the condition is gate to source voltage has to be greater than threshold voltage. I said that it is in linear region because Vd < Vg - Vt. Now using the MOS equation is triode region, the problem can be solved.

It is because Vss is negative.. To turn on the nMOS, gate-source or gate-drain voltage must be more than the threshold. In this case, you have more than threshold voltage between the gate and Vss, therefore, nMOS turns on.

Last edited:

1. How does a gate (NMOS) being connected to ground allow current to flow?

When a gate (NMOS) is connected to ground, it creates a conducting channel between the source and drain regions, allowing current to flow through the transistor. This is because a gate-to-source voltage (Vgs) of 0V or less turns the transistor on, allowing it to act as a low resistance path for current.

2. Is current flow possible if the gate (NMOS) is not connected to ground?

No, current flow is not possible if the gate (NMOS) is not connected to ground. In order for the transistor to turn on and allow current to flow, the gate-to-source voltage must be 0V or less. If the gate is not connected to ground, the Vgs will be greater than 0V, and the transistor will remain in an off state with high resistance.

3. Can current flow through the gate (NMOS) itself?

No, current cannot flow through the gate (NMOS) itself. The gate terminal is made of an insulating material and is not connected to any other part of the transistor. Therefore, it does not allow current to pass through it.

4. What happens if the gate (NMOS) is connected to a voltage other than ground?

If the gate (NMOS) is connected to a voltage other than ground, the Vgs will not be 0V or less, and the transistor will remain in an off state. This means that current will not be able to flow through the transistor, and it will act as a high resistance path.

5. Why is it important to connect the gate (NMOS) to ground?

It is important to connect the gate (NMOS) to ground because it allows the transistor to turn on and act as a low resistance path for current. This is necessary for the proper functioning of the transistor and any circuit it is a part of. If the gate is not connected to ground, the transistor will remain in an off state and current will not be able to flow through it.