Proving ∫xn⋅(ax+b)½ using Integration by Parts | Integral from Apostol

In summary, the student is trying to find the velocity of a object that is moving on a straight line. They are trying to find v by using integration by parts. They are having difficulty getting b in the equation and the term 2n+3 in the denominator. They eventually find v by simplifying the equation and dividing by 3.
Ted13

Homework Statement

Hi guys,can anyone help me prove the following using integration by parts
∫xn⋅(ax+b)½=2/a(2n+3)(xn⋅(ax+b)3/2-nb∫xn-1⋅(ax+b)½)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Setting u=xn,dv=(ax+b)1/2dx
du=n⋅xn-1 and v = 2/3⋅(ax+b)3/2 i can never get b in the equation and the term 2n+3 in the denominator

Physics news on Phys.org
Ted13 said:

Homework Statement

Hi guys,can anyone help me prove the following using integration by parts

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

du=n⋅xn-1 and v = 2/3⋅(ax+b)3/2 i can never get b in the equation and the term 2n+3 in the denominator
Your work in finding v is incorrect. When you calculate ##\int dv = \int (ax + b)^{1/2} dx##, there's a simple substitution that you need to use.

Likes Ted13
Thank's Setting u=(ax+b) du=a⋅dx then the integral becomes ∫u1/2du=1/a⋅u3/2⋅2/3 but that's not enough for proving the whole thing

Please clarify what this means:
The first part just to the right of = is ambiguous -- this part: 2/a(2n+3).

Is this ##\frac 2 a (2n + 3)## or is it ##\frac{2}{a(2n + 3)}##?

It is 2 over a(2n+3)

Ted13 said:
It is 2 over a(2n+3)
Then you should write it as 2/(a(2n + 3)). As you wrote it, most people would interpret it as ##\frac 2 a (2n + 3)##.

I'll take another look at your integral and see if I can come up with something. BTW, you are omitting the dx differentials in all of your integrals. That's not so bad in this problem, but leaving them off can come back to bite you when you are doing trig substitutions.

Likes Ted13
I am sorry I'll fix that and thank's for the help again

I've filled up three pages of paper, both sides, but haven't gotten anywhere. I think that the strategy is to do integration by parts twice, but I'm not sure. I need to do some other stuff today, but I'll take another look later on.

Maybe someone else will have an idea...

Any ideas?

Ted13 said:
That is a good approach.

After partial integration, write ##v=\frac{2}{3}(ax+b) (ax+b)^{1/2}## and split the integrand in two summands. You'll get one integral that is proportional to the one on the left side (=the original problem), and one integral that looks like the one you need for your solution. Simplify the whole equation and you are done.

Likes Ted13 and SammyS

1. What is the integral from Apostol?

The integral from Apostol is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used to solve a variety of real-world problems.

2. Who is Tom M. Apostol?

Tom M. Apostol is a renowned mathematician and professor who wrote the textbook "Calculus" which introduced the concept of the integral from Apostol. He is also known for his contributions to number theory and analysis.

3. How is the integral from Apostol different from other types of integrals?

The integral from Apostol, also known as the Riemann integral, is a specific type of integral that uses rectangular approximations to calculate the area under a curve. Other types of integrals include the Lebesgue integral and the Henstock-Kurzweil integral.

4. What is the significance of the integral from Apostol in mathematics?

The integral from Apostol is a fundamental tool in calculus and is used to solve a variety of problems in physics, engineering, and other fields. It also plays a crucial role in the development of other mathematical concepts, such as the fundamental theorem of calculus.

5. How do you calculate the integral from Apostol?

The integral from Apostol is calculated using a process called integration, where the function is divided into small rectangles and the area of each rectangle is calculated. As the width of the rectangles approaches zero, the sum of their areas approaches the exact value of the integral. This process is known as the Riemann sum.