Residue Calculation for Integral of e^(1/z^2) over Circle |z|=2

• Thread starter player1_1_1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses using residues to solve the integral of e^(1/z^2) along the circle |z|=2 and the use of series representation to confirm the answer. It is noted that the integral has an essential singularity, not a pole, and therefore residues cannot be used. The conversation also touches on the integral of e^(1/z) and the use of residues in this case.
player1_1_1

Homework Statement

[tex]\int\limits_Ce^{\frac{1}{z^2}}\mbox{d}z[/tex] where [tex]C[/tex] is circle [tex]|z|=2[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]\sum\limits^{\infty}_{j=0}\frac{z^{-2j}}{j!}=1+\frac{1}{z^2}+\frac{1}{2!z^4}+\ldots[/tex]
[tex]I=2\pi ic_{-1}=2\pi i[/tex]
correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
c_(-1)=0

This is what you may want to consider: just solve it numerically to check your answer. It's easy in Mathematica:

NIntegrate[Exp[1/z^2] 2 I Exp[I t]/.z->2 Exp[I t],{t,0,2 Pi}]

No, that is not correct. Since that series contains an infinite number of terms with negative exponent, z= 0 is an "essential singularity", not a pole. You cannot use residues to find the integral.

thanks for answer, why [tex]c_{-1}=0[/tex] then? maybe i wrote this series wrong?

okay, and what if i had [tex]\int\limits_Ce^{\frac1z}\mbox{d}z[/tex], can i use residues here? is there pole in [tex]z=0[/tex]?

HallsofIvy said:
No, that is not correct. Since that series contains an infinite number of terms with negative exponent, z= 0 is an "essential singularity", not a pole. You cannot use residues to find the integral.

I believe you are in error sir. It is indeed an essential singularity but that does not change in the slightest the fact that the Residue Theorem still applies.

player1_1_1 said:
okay, and what if i had [tex]\int\limits_Ce^{\frac1z}\mbox{d}z[/tex], can i use residues here? is there pole in [tex]z=0[/tex]?

Yes you can but don't want to pick a fight with Hall. Now what do you think the answer is based on it's series representation? How can you now change the Mathematica code above and confirm your answer?

player1_1_1 said:
thanks for answer, why [tex]c_{-1}=0[/tex] then? maybe i wrote this series wrong?

Well that one too: c_(-1) is the 1/z term right as in -1. So c_(-2) is the 1/z^2 term right? Same dif with the rest of them.

Related to Residue Calculation for Integral of e^(1/z^2) over Circle |z|=2

1. What is an "integral using residues"?

An integral using residues is a method of evaluating complex integrals by using the concept of residues, which are the values of a function at its singularities. This method is particularly useful for integrals involving complex functions with poles and branch cuts.

2. How do you find the residues of a complex function?

The residues of a complex function can be found by using the formula for residues at a simple pole: Res(f, z0) = lim(z->z0) [(z-z0)*f(z)]. For higher-order poles, the formula may be more complicated, but it is always based on the concept of finding the coefficient of the (z-z0)^-1 term in the Laurent series expansion of the function.

3. What is the relationship between the residues and the value of the integral?

The relationship between residues and the value of the integral is given by the Residue Theorem, which states that the integral of a complex function around a closed contour is equal to 2πi times the sum of the residues of the function inside the contour. This allows us to evaluate complex integrals by simply summing the residues of the function at its singularities.

4. Can the method of residues be used for real integrals?

Yes, the method of residues can be used for real integrals as well. However, in order to do so, the contour of integration must be chosen carefully to include all the relevant singularities of the function. Additionally, the residues may have both real and imaginary parts, so the final result of the integral will also be a complex number.

5. Are there any limitations to using the method of residues?

The method of residues is a powerful tool for evaluating complex integrals, but it does have some limitations. It can only be used for integrals with simple or isolated poles, and the calculation of residues can become more complicated for functions with higher-order poles. Additionally, the contour of integration must be chosen carefully to ensure that all relevant singularities are included, which can be challenging for more complex functions.