Integrating tan(x/2).(cosec x + cot x)^2 | A-level Maths

• Thread starter Selectron
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary,The problem is integrating the expression tan(x/2).(cosec x + cot x)^2. To solve it, you use an integrating factor and half-angle formulae.
Selectron
I'm stuck half-way through a question where I need to find the integral (with respect to x) of:

tan(x/2).(cosec x + cot x)^2

I've tried every method of integration that I know and I can't get it. Is it actually possible to integrate the expression?

If it's any help, this problem is part of the further maths A-level and the original problem was:

Find the general solution of the differential equation dy/dx - 2y.cosec x = tan(x/2), 0<x<pi

I got to the integral I'm stuck on by using an integrating factor of (cosec x + cot x)^2, so that the LHS became the derivative of y(cosec x + cot x)^2 (and therefore y(cosec x + cot x)^2 = integral[tan(x/2).(cosec x + cot x)^2]dx ).

P.S. Sorry if the above isn't very clear, since I don't know how to get mathematical symbols on these boards.

Physics news on Phys.org
The value of that integral is 2ln(sin(x/2))+C

All you need to know is the right trig identity: [tex]\tan \left(\frac{x}{2}\right)=\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)+1}[/tex].

The integating factor simplifies by using half-angle formulae.

sinx = 2sin(x/2).cos(x/2)
cos(x) = 2cos²(x/2) - 1

btw, you can get maths symbols by using Latex

Here's the integral

Use [tex]\tan\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)=\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)+1} [/tex] like this:
[tex]\int\tan\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)\left(\csc(x) + \cot(x)\right)^{2}dx = \int\left(\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)+1}\right)\left(\frac{1}{\sin(x)} + \frac{\cos(x)}{\sin(x)}\right)^{2}dx[/tex]
[tex]= \int\left(\frac{\sin(x)}{\cos(x)+1}\right)\left(\frac{\cos(x)+1}{\sin(x)}\right)^{2}dx = \int\frac{\cos(x)+1}{\sin(x)}dx = \int\cot\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)dx[/tex]
Let [tex]u=\frac{x}{2}\Rightarrow 2du=dx[/tex] to get
[tex] 2\int\cot(u)du = 2\int\frac{\cos(u)}{\sin(u)}du[/tex]
set [tex]w=\sin(u)\Rightarrow dw=\cos(u)du[/tex] which yeilds
[tex]2\int\frac{dw}{w} = 2\ln(w) + C = 2\ln(\sin(u)) + C = 2\ln\left(\sin\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)\right) + C[/tex]
There, all done.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks guys. You've been very helpful.

1. What is the formula for integrating tan(x/2).(cosec x + cot x)^2?

The formula for integrating tan(x/2).(cosec x + cot x)^2 is ∫ tan(x/2).(cosec x + cot x)^2 dx = -2ln|cos(x/2)| + C.

2. How do you solve integrals involving trigonometric functions?

To solve integrals involving trigonometric functions, we need to use trigonometric identities and substitution. We also need to be familiar with the properties of trigonometric functions and their derivatives.

3. Is there a specific method for solving this type of integral?

Yes, there are specific methods for solving integrals involving trigonometric functions. One method is to use substitution, where we substitute a variable for a trigonometric function. Another method is to use trigonometric identities to simplify the integral.

4. What is the significance of the constant of integration in this integral?

The constant of integration is important in this integral because it accounts for all possible solutions. It is necessary to include the constant of integration when solving integrals to avoid losing any potential solutions.

5. Can this integral be solved using any other techniques?

Yes, there are other techniques for solving integrals involving trigonometric functions. These include using integration by parts, trigonometric substitutions, and partial fractions.