1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Internal energy change

1. Jun 15, 2006 #1
    I need a little starter on this one....can't figure out how to do it(or even start it)....I'll work it, if I can get some help along the way....

Two moles of an ideal gas at 20 deg C undergo a free adiabatic expansion from 2.0 liters to 66 liters. Then the gas is adiabatically compressed such that the pressure is inversely proportional to the square of the volume: P=P(not)(V(not)/V)^2. What is the total internal energy change after both processes if the last compression reduces the volume by a factor of 4.

The problem is kinda hard to understand in itself for me....so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brad

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 15, 2006 #2
    anyone else understand this problem enough to help me along??

4. Jun 15, 2006 #3

Andrew Mason

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the relationship between Pressure and Volume in an adiabatic compression or expansion? (Hint: it depends on CP/CV for the gas. How do you determine [itex]\gamma[/itex] for this particular gas?)

What is the expression for the internal energy of a gas? (what property does it depend on?) Can you determine that property from the information provided?

AM

Last edited: Jun 15, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?