Is energy inversely proportional to mass?

In summary, according to this equation, the energy of an electron in a semiconductor is inversely proportional to its mass. However, this equation is derived from the more well-known equation that states that energy is proportional to mass.
nav_ece
TL;DR Summary
In some equations, it seems that energy is proportional to mass, and in others, it seems like energy is inversely proportional to mass. Why?
Hello. I'm a graduate student in electrical engineering, and I'm taking a class in semiconductor physics. My professor has used this equation for the energy of an electron in a semiconductor:
$$E=\frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m^*}$$
This seems to imply that energy is inversely proportional to mass, i.e., a heavier particle has less energy. However, we all know the following equation for kinetic energy from high school physics:
$$E=\frac{1}{2}mv^2$$
That equation actually indicates the opposite: energy is proportional to mass, and a heavier particle has more energy. Moreover, it seems like these two equations are derived from each other, using ##p=mv## and ##p=\hbar k##.
$$E=\frac{1}{2}mv^2=\frac{mv^2}{2}=\frac{m^2v^2}{2m}=\frac{p^2}{2m}=\frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m}$$
This is somewhat confusing, that these two equations are derived from each other, and yet they seem to be saying opposite things. So which one is true? Do heavier particles have more energy, or less energy? Or are both statements true, in different situations?

Physics news on Phys.org
That depends, if two particles that have different mass move at the same velocity, the more massive will have more kinetic energy. But if instead of moving at the same velocity, both particles have the same momentum (i.e, the most massive moves slower) then is the lightest particle who will have more kinetical energy.

Likes PeroK
Hello nav_ece, ##\quad## :welcome: ##\quad## !
nav_ece said:
they seem to be saying opposite things
but they don't: with ##\ p\propto m\ ## as you already indicate, order is restored and ##\ E\propto m\ ##.

And even in a much broader sense: the famous EInstein ## \ E = mc^2 ## ! But that's for later ...

nav_ece said:
Summary: In some equations, it seems that energy is proportional to mass, and in others, it seems like energy is inversely proportional to mass. Why?

Hello. I'm a graduate student in electrical engineering, and I'm taking a class in semiconductor physics. My professor has used this equation for the energy of an electron in a semiconductor:
$$E=\frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m^*}$$
This seems to imply that energy is inversely proportional to mass, i.e., a heavier particle has less energy. However, we all know the following equation for kinetic energy from high school physics:
$$E=\frac{1}{2}mv^2$$
That equation actually indicates the opposite: energy is proportional to mass, and a heavier particle has more energy. Moreover, it seems like these two equations are derived from each other, using ##p=mv## and ##p=\hbar k##.
$$E=\frac{1}{2}mv^2=\frac{mv^2}{2}=\frac{m^2v^2}{2m}=\frac{p^2}{2m}=\frac{\hbar^2 k^2}{2m}$$
This is somewhat confusing, that these two equations are derived from each other, and yet they seem to be saying opposite things. So which one is true? Do heavier particles have more energy, or less energy? Or are both statements true, in different situations?

The problem here is that you are not focusing on what is being kept CONSTANT. And I'm surprised this is propping up now, because I went over something like this in my General Physics mechanics topic.

We know that

p = mv

and that

K = 1/2 mv2 = p2/2m.

If you have 2 masses, where m1 > m2, but you have it so that p is a constant for both masses (meaning that they also have different velocity), then obviously

p1 = p2

However, one can already tell that the kinetic energy for them is not identical, i.e.

K1 < K2.

The one with the greater mass, i.e. m1, may have the same momentum, but it has a smaller kinetic energy.

This is no different than the situation you brought up. It is just that you did not realize that in your question, you are implicitly making the momentum, i.e. p = ħk to be a constant.

Zz.

Likes BvU and PeroK

1. Is energy always inversely proportional to mass?

Yes, according to Einstein's famous equation E=mc^2, energy (E) is directly proportional to the mass (m) of an object, with the speed of light (c) as a constant. This means that as the mass increases, the energy also increases, and vice versa.

2. How does the equation E=mc^2 demonstrate the inverse relationship between energy and mass?

The equation E=mc^2 shows that the amount of energy an object has is directly proportional to its mass, but inversely proportional to the square of the speed of light. This means that as the mass increases, the energy also increases, but as the speed of light increases, the energy decreases.

3. Can energy and mass ever be equal?

No, energy and mass are two different physical quantities and cannot be equal. However, they are related through the equation E=mc^2, which shows that energy and mass are two forms of the same thing.

4. How does the concept of mass-energy equivalence impact our understanding of the universe?

The concept of mass-energy equivalence, as described by the equation E=mc^2, revolutionized our understanding of the universe by showing that matter and energy are interchangeable. It also led to the development of nuclear energy and helped explain the immense amounts of energy released in nuclear reactions.

5. Is the inverse relationship between energy and mass applicable to all forms of energy?

Yes, the inverse relationship between energy and mass is a fundamental principle in physics and is applicable to all forms of energy. This includes kinetic energy, potential energy, thermal energy, and electromagnetic energy, among others.