Jalapenos I Grew: The Food Thread Part 2

In summary, these jalapenos I grew this summer are really coming in handy this winter. They're good in just about anything for adding a great pepper taste and a little heat.
JorisL said:
Coming back to the TV show discussion, recently I liked the hairy bikers (UK): Asian adventure.
I love Asian cuisine and got some great ideas from the 2 episodes I saw so far.
Next week I'll likely make fresh ramen (not the noodles because I don't have the time for that).

Also Goulash must be my favourite stew, ever.
I *LOVE* Hairy Bikers!

Physics news on Phys.org
I recently bought a rotisserie oven and just rotisseried a a full Huli Huli chicken. Soy sauce, honey, brown sugar, crushed garlic, ketchup, lime juice, tabasco sauce, and some olive oil I had to substitute for sesame oil. Put it on 325 for an hour and half. Set it and forget it...BAM, that was good. Didn't have much in the cupboard, but I had some macaroni and cheese as a side, that I dressed up with a jalepeno pepper and some extra graded cheddar, and and an iceberg salad with chopped carrots and tomatoes with an olive oil and imported balsamic vinegar dressing. Yummm.

Likes OmCheeto
DiracPool said:
I recently bought a rotisserie oven and just rotisseried a a full Huli Huli chicken. Soy sauce, honey, brown sugar, crushed garlic, ketchup, lime juice, tabasco sauce, and some olive oil I had to substitute for sesame oil. Put it on 325 for an hour and half. Set it and forget it...BAM, that was good. Didn't have much in the cupboard, but I had some macaroni and cheese as a side, that I dressed up with a jalepeno pepper and some extra graded cheddar, and and an iceberg salad with chopped carrots and tomatoes with an olive oil and imported balsamic vinegar dressing. Yummm.
That sounds yummy.

First meal cooked over fire this year! Chicken wings over hot coals (actual wood, not charcoal).

And asparagus :woot:. Not sure yet how it will be cooked.

Something new for chicken breast for me. I'm hoping this will be good; Thai Chili-Teryaki baked boneless chicken breast.

Marinaded for 24 hours with these,

Thai Chili-Teriqaki marinade.jpg

then baked @ 350°F for 1.5 Hours.

Thai Chili-Teriyaki Chicken.jpg

Likes OmCheeto and Borg
Oooh, looks good!

Evo said:
Oooh, looks good!
Turned out it was good. Thanks. I'll be making it again.

I can't claim credit for the following recipe (saw it on a facebook link months ago and copied to my phone) but I can absolutely attest to its awesomeness! This weekend was a bank holiday in the UK so finally having the time and excuse I cooked it. For those of you unfamiliar this is a take on the classic full English breakfast in pie form. From the top and with pictures as I went along:

Ingredients:

Pastry:

570g Flour
200g lard (plus a little extra for greasing tin)
2 teaspoons salt
Pinch of pepper
1 beaten egg (for glazing)

Filling:

8 thick medallions of bacon (fat removed)
12 mushrooms (slice and pre-cook these while making the pastry)
4 sausages (get good quality!)
4 hashbrowns (pre-cook these whilst making the pastry)
3 Black puddings
1/2 tin of baked pins (you want as little juice as possible so use a fork to drain)
4 eggs, two whole and two for extra yolks.

Recipe:

Step 1: Sieve the flour into a bowl and mix in the salt

image1.JPG

Step 2: Melt the lard and the water together in a pan

image2.JPG

Step 3: Mix the water/lard with the flour and once cool knead together into a ball (make sure to flour the surface well). Roll that ball into a rough rectangle (or whatever matches your tin shape)

image3.JPG

Step 4: Grease the tin with the rest of the lard and carefully place the pastry in. Make sure to break off a fist size lump for the lid. Trim the edges off and use that to make a second lump just in case you need it, if not it becomes decoration.

image4.JPG

Step 5: Lay in the bacon

image5.JPG

Step 6: Add the mushrooms, remember these must be roasted before going in.

image6.JPG

Last edited:
Part 2! Forum doesn't like too many pics

Step 7: Skin the sausages

image7.JPG

Step 8: Add the sausage meat, mushed a bit to fit

image8.JPG

Step 9: Add your hashbrowns, remember to precook them

image9.JPG

Step 10: Add your black puddings

image10.JPG

Step 11: Add the beans, remember not too much juice

image11.JPG

Step 12: Add the eggs and the two extra yokes

image12.JPG

Last edited:
Final part!

Step 13: Add the lid plus your decoration (F.E.P stands for full English pie, thought my housemate preferred the name F*ing Epic Pie)

image13.JPG

Step 14: Cook at 200C for 20 minutes, then turn down to 170C for 90 minutes

image14.JPG

Step 15: Let the pie cool then place in the fridge over night. The next day carefully remove from the tin, slice and serve. Can be heated in the microwave if you prefer.

image15.JPG

Enjoy! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Likes Bandersnatch, Evo and lisab
Ooooh, if only i could get my hands on black pudding here, I'd have to special order it.

Evo said:
Ooooh, if only i could get my hands on black pudding here, I'd have to special order it.

I could send you some :) I think, I assume they'd survive airmail!

DSCN2900-538x360.JPG
Ryan_m_b said:
I could send you some :) I think, I assume they'd survive airmail!
I would love to try real British blood pudding, probably not something that can be shipped here though. I should check online, is there a brand that you recommend? There was a deli my mother used to be able to get home made meats from when i was little and one was a lovely blood and tongue sausage, I found a place that is highly recommended in the US, but their "blood sausage" appears pink, not the normal reddish black.

http://www.edelweissdeli.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=71&product_id=180

Last edited:
Evo said:
If you've got a Polish deli nearby, then you may try getting a 'kaszanka' from it (sometimes called 'kiszka'). It's pretty much the same stuff as British black pudding, only usually sold is smaller diameter sausage form.

By the way, that looks delicious, Ryan!

Bandersnatch said:
If you've got a Polish deli nearby, then you may try getting a 'kaszanka' from it (sometimes called 'kiszka'). It's pretty much the same stuff as British black pudding, only usually sold is smaller diameter sausage form.
I'll have to check, where I live is just starting to get a few tiny ethnic markets, mainly middle eastern, the little Asian market didn't last long. :(

I had approximately 6 hours to burn during my last layover at Hong Kong International Airport on my last trip. So I practically walked and saw almost every square inch of Terminal 1. Other than exhausting my credit card at the HK Disneyland store (is this revelation a surprise to you?), I was also scouting various eateries there. I avoided the main food court on the upper level of the terminal. Then I found, tucked away in a side of one part of the terminal, this group of smaller restaurants. One of them specialized in just noodles, and not only that, they were freshly-made noodles, hand-pulled right there!

It was a no-brainer.

I ordered this seafood noodle soup. I was very good, but definitely the main attraction is the fresh noodles. Just as with fresh pasta, you cannot get that kind of texture and chew from dried noodles. And the broth was just light enough that it perfectly compliments the noodles.

4ZMHtL.jpg

I made another trip to this same place later in the day, about an hour before my flight, and got a different noodle dish that was stir-fried. If I had more time, and I wasn't as full, I would have eaten more!

Zz.

Likes Evo, OmCheeto, dlgoff and 1 other person
ZapperZ said:
I had approximately 6 hours to burn during my last layover at Hong Kong International Airport on my last trip. So I practically walked and saw almost every square inch of Terminal 1. Other than exhausting my credit card at the HK Disneyland store (is this revelation a surprise to you?), I was also scouting various eateries there. I avoided the main food court on the upper level of the terminal. Then I found, tucked away in a side of one part of the terminal, this group of smaller restaurants. One of them specialized in just noodles, and not only that, they were freshly-made noodles, hand-pulled right there!

It was a no-brainer.

I ordered this seafood noodle soup. I was very good, but definitely the main attraction is the fresh noodles. Just as with fresh pasta, you cannot get that kind of texture and chew from dried noodles. And the broth was just light enough that it perfectly compliments the noodles.

4ZMHtL.jpg

I made another trip to this same place later in the day, about an hour before my flight, and got a different noodle dish that was stir-fried. If I had more time, and I wasn't as full, I would have eaten more!

Zz.
Gosh, that looks so delicious, I would love some of that right now.

Impromptu and very healthy dinner tonight. Hummus, carrots, pita bread, mozzarella and a glass of wine. Yum. :woot:

Likes Evo and dlgoff
Borg said:
Impromptu and very healthy dinner tonight. Hummus, carrots, pita bread, mozzarella and a glass of wine. Yum. :woot:
I'll be right over. Save me some. :approve:

Likes Evo and Borg
Borg said:
Oh, thank you, you reminded me that I bought a bag of Stacy's "Simply Naked" pita chips today. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Likes Borg
Evo said:
Oh, thank you, you reminded me that I bought a bag of Stacy's "Simply Naked" pita chips today. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.
Those are really good pita chips - very light and flakey. I have a buy one get one free rain check for them and have been waiting for a coupon to make them $1 per bag.

Likes Evo
Borg said:
Those are really good pita chips - very light and flakey. I have a buy one get one free rain check for them and have been waiting for a coupon to make them $1 per bag.
What?? Coupon? This is a once every other month splurge for me. But they are SO worth it. Now I am regretting that I didn't also buy something to dip them in. There is this artichoke parmesan dip that is to die for, it's from Stonemill Kitchens. Buy this, you will thank me.

http://www.stonemillkitchens.com/product1.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Made Paella today. Bought frozen seafood a while back and haven't been able to get the squid tender.
This recipe worked (yay not a total loss), it's based on Jamie Oliver's recipe minus the chicken and bacon. I replaced carrots for the peas.
Only had risotto rise, but that works too :-)

Paella.jpg

I love paella, had a great recipe once, but I believe that it's in one of hundreds of my old cookbooks that got destroyed in a flood. :oldcry:

I haven't made this yet, but it sounds yummy. It's spicy edamame dip.
Ingredients
4 large cloves garlic, un-peeled
16 ounces shelled edamame beans (about 2 cups)
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
Pinch salt and pepper
4 tablespoons olive oil
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (about 2 limes)
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
Pita chips, for dipping

Directions
In a medium skillet over medium heat, roast the garlic, turning frequently, until light brown, about 15 minutes. Remove from the heat, cool, and then slip off the skins. Set aside.

Bring about 8 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan and drop in the beans. Bring back to a boil and cook for 5 minutes. Reserve 3/4 cup of the cooking water before draining. Drain the beans and cool.

Transfer the garlic into a food processor and chop coarsely. Add the beans, cayenne pepper, cumin, salt, pepper and process in the food processor. Add the olive oil, lime juice and cilantro and pulse to combine. Add the reserved water a little at a time while processing until smooth (you may not need to add all of the water). Use pita chips for dipping.

Recipe adapted from Home Cooking with Trisha Yearwood (c) Clarkson Potter 2010

Read more at: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/trisha-yearwood/spicy-edamame-dip-recipe.html?oc=linkback

Evo said:
1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
:oldconfused: I've never understood why (developed a taste for) this stuff is used. :oldeek:

dlgoff said:
:oldconfused: I've never understood why (developed a taste for) this stuff is used. :oldeek:
You must be one of those unfortunate few that think it tastes like soap, that's too bad, it's really delicious. I can't eat papaya/mangoes, it tastes like cheap perfume to me. horrible.

Likes lisab and dlgoff
Evo said:
You must be one of those unfortunate few ...
I guess. When going to new Mexican food restaurants, that stuff is the determining factor whether I will go back or not.

dlgoff said:
I guess. When going to new Mexican food restaurants, that stuff is the determining factor whether I will go back or not.
Ask for it not to be added.

I went to the Cheesecake Factory with Evo Child and ordered an Iced tea. I took a sip and spewed it out, it had papaya or mango in it. I called the waiter over and politely said i just wanted plain ice tea, he said they didn't have any, their only iced tea had papaya/mango in it because it was 'trendy" and that a lot of customers couldn't drink it and offered me a diet coke.

Evo said:
Ask for it not to be added.
I would but it's in the salsa. Kinda like:
... they're only iced tea had papaya/mango in it because it was 'trendy" ...

That sucks if you can't eat it, it's real, some people taste it differently and it's bad.

Likes dlgoff
Evo said:
You must be one of those unfortunate few that think it tastes like soap, that's too bad, it's really delicious. I can't eat papaya/mangoes, it tastes like cheap perfume to me. horrible.

I know several people with that sad genetic trait. One woman can detect cilantro dang near the ppb level.

I like mangoes but I don't care for papaya or guava..."cheap perfume" is the perfect way to describe them :biggrin:!

By the way, pineapple and cilantro is a wonderful combination!

My wife went to our local market today. Somehow, they had decided to put pork spare ribs on sale for $3.99/lb. They had some spare ribs left over from a special that ran last week @$2.99/lb, and my wife bought them all. Two huge bags of them loaded into our chest freezer. This summer's cookouts will be great. Normally, I prepare and grill burgers, hot dogs or sausage, and salmon, but this year, there will also be pork spare ribs. My wife and I have some projects planned for this summer, so family members will be easy to get involved.

Likes dlgoff
Freshly-made waffles, "shmeared" with Nutella, and topped with fresh blueberries, strawberries, and sliced bananas. It was so good, I had to have TWO!

dJ3srm.jpg

Zz.

Likes OmCheeto, Silicon Waffle and dlgoff