Jet Engine Sound Intensity Calculation with Absorption Effects

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivation of I=\frac{p_{ave}}{4\pi r^{2}} and its application in determining the intensity of sound at a distance from a jet engine. It is assumed that the transmitting medium does not absorb energy, but it is known that the absorption of sound in dry air results in a decrease in energy of about 8 dB/km. The conversation then poses two questions: (a) finding the intensity in dB at a distance of 2.6 km from the engine assuming no sound absorption, and (b) finding the intensity in dB at the same distance assuming the sound diminishes at a rate of 8 dB/km. While the answer for part (a) is
JazzCarrot

Homework Statement

[tex]I=\frac{p_{ave}}{4\pi r^{2}}[/tex] is derived on the assumption that the transmitting medium does not absorb energy. It is known that the absorption of sound in dry results in a decrease in energy of about 8 dB/km. The intensity of sound at a distance of 120 m from a jet engine is 130 dB. You should take the hearing threshold: I0 to be 10-12 W/m2

(a) Find the intensity in dB of the sound at a distance of 2.6 km from the engine assuming that there is no absorption of sound by the air.

(b)Find the intensity in dB of the sound at a distance of 2.6 km from the engine assuming that the sound diminishes at a rate of 8 dB/km.

Homework Equations

[tex]I=\frac{p_{ave}}{4\pi r^{2}}[/tex]

[tex]\beta =10log\frac{I}{I_{0}} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I've got part (a) correct, which is 103db, from converting 130db to an Intensity, and then finding the Power, and then recalulating the Intensity at the new distance. It's just part (b) I'm struggling with, I'm not sure how to tackle it, 8db is a tiny fraction of Intensity compared to the 103db, so my answer, hardly changes... in fact, it's still 103db. :frown:

Any pointers would be welcomed!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry but isn't I= pave/(4*pi*r^2) ?

Oops! Yeah should be the other way round. I'll correct that.

1. How does a jet engine produce sound?

A jet engine produces sound through the rapid expansion of hot gases exiting the exhaust nozzle. This creates a pressure wave that travels through the air and is perceived as sound by our ears.

2. What factors affect the loudness of a jet engine?

The loudness of a jet engine can be affected by several factors, including the size and design of the engine, the speed and altitude of the aircraft, and the surrounding environment (such as buildings or mountains).

3. How can sound from a jet engine be reduced?

Sound from a jet engine can be reduced through various methods such as using sound-absorbing materials in the engine design, changing the shape of the engine components to reduce noise, and implementing noise-reducing technologies in the exhaust system.

4. Can sound-absorbing materials be used to reduce the noise from a jet engine?

Yes, sound-absorbing materials can be used to reduce the noise from a jet engine. These materials are designed to absorb sound waves and convert them into heat energy, reducing the overall noise level.

5. How can noise from a jet engine affect the environment?

Noise from jet engines can have negative impacts on the environment, such as causing hearing damage to people and wildlife, disrupting animal communication and migration patterns, and contributing to noise pollution in surrounding areas.