Kinematic Equations for a Police Car Giving Chase in 12 Seconds

In summary, the problem involves a car driving at 75 ft/s passing a stationary police car. In order for the police car to catch up to the first car in 12 seconds, it would need to accelerate at a rate of 6.25 ft/s. To find the police car's speed at the end of 12 seconds, the equation V = Vo + at can be used, resulting in a final speed of 150 ft/s. However, it is important to consider the motion of both cars and set their position equations equal to each other in order to accurately solve for the police car's acceleration.
demonslayer42

Homework Statement

1. A car driving at a constant speed of 75 ft/s passes a police car that is initially at rest. If the police car decides to give chase
A) What rate would the police have to accelerate to catch up with the other car in 12 seconds?
B) What is the police car's speed at the end of the 12 seconds?

Homework Equations

Use Kinematic Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

My first step was to assign the variables:

Vo = 0
V = 75 ft/s
a = unknown
x = unknown
t = 12

I used V = Vo + at so 75 ft/s = 0 + a12 which comes out to 6.25 ft/s Is this part right, or am I way off? I'm new to Physics, so please be nice. I want to do well :) If part A is correct, I have no clue how to solve part B. Help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
For part a I believe you have to consider the motion of both cars... just because the police car gets up to the same speed doesn't mean it will catch it, since the other car continues to move at constant speed. Try writing down both of their 'position' equations being sure to note that car one is moving with constant speed (so no acceleration). Those two positions have to be the same for the police car to have caught up, so set them equal and solve 'a.'

Try the equation you tried to use for part b.

Thank you for your reply :) I'm not sure if I understand you correctly, but I tried what you said.

The first car's displacement would be 75 ft/s * 12 seconds = 900 feet? So if I use X = Vot + 1/2(at^2)that means that acceleration of the second car would have to be 12.50 ft/s Is this the correct? Or am I still way off? So if the acceleration = 12.50 ft/s I use V = Vo + at and end up with Final V = 150 ft/s ? That just doesn't sound right to me, could you please try to explain what I'm doing wrong? Thank you for your help :)

Related to Kinematic Equations for a Police Car Giving Chase in 12 Seconds

1. What are kinematic equations?

Kinematic equations are mathematical formulas that describe the motion of an object in terms of its displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. These equations are derived from the basic principles of motion, such as Newton's laws of motion, and are used to solve problems related to the motion of objects.

2. What are the five basic kinematic equations?

The five basic kinematic equations are:

• Displacement (Δx) = Initial velocity (v0) x Time (t) + 1/2 x Acceleration (a) x Time (t)2
  • Final velocity (v) = Initial velocity (v0) + Acceleration (a) x Time (t)
  • Displacement (Δx) = (v0 + v) / 2 x Time (t)
  • Final velocity (v) = Square root of Initial velocity (v0)2 + 2 x Acceleration (a) x Displacement (Δx)
  • Displacement (Δx) = Initial velocity (v0) x Time (t) + 1/2 x Acceleration (a) x Time (t)2

3. How are kinematic equations used in real life?

Kinematic equations are used in various real-life situations, such as calculating the distance traveled by a car, determining the speed of an athlete, or predicting the trajectory of a projectile. These equations are also used in engineering and physics to analyze and design motion systems, such as roller coasters or spacecraft.

4. What are the units for the variables in kinematic equations?

The units for the variables in kinematic equations are:

• Displacement (Δx): meters (m)
  • Velocity (v): meters per second (m/s)
  • Initial velocity (v0): meters per second (m/s)
  • Acceleration (a): meters per second squared (m/s2)
  • Time (t): seconds (s)

5. How do I solve kinematic equations?

To solve kinematic equations, you need to identify the known and unknown variables and choose the appropriate equation to use. Then, substitute the known values into the equation and solve for the unknown variable using algebraic manipulation. It is important to pay attention to the units and use consistent units throughout the calculation. If necessary, you can also use a calculator to perform the calculations.