Kinetic Friction of shoved box of books

In summary, the problem involves a box of books being pushed with a force of 400 N at an angle of 35.2 degrees below the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the floor is .570. The solution involves setting up equations for the forces in the x and y directions and solving for the acceleration and time it takes for the box to move 4.00 M starting from rest.
BBallman_08

Homework Statement

A box of books weighing 300 N is shoved across the floor of an apartment by a force of 400 N exerted downward at an angle of 35.2 degrees below the horizontal. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the floor is .570, how long does it take the box to move 4.00 M, starting from rest.

Homework Equations

E Fx = 400 cos (35.2) - mK Fn = 300 (a)

E Fy = Fn - Fmg - 400 sin (35.2)

The Attempt at a Solution

400 cos (35.2) -(.570) (300) (9.8) + 400 Sin (30) = 300 A

A= -3.83 m/s2

4m = (1/2) (-3.83) (t^2)

t= 1.44s

This is what I have so far... I don't know if its correct?? Can someone help me out and check it? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
BBallman_08 said:

Homework Statement

A box of books weighing 300 N is shoved across the floor of an apartment by a force of 400 N exerted downward at an angle of 35.2 degrees below the horizontal. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the floor is .570, how long does it take the box to move 4.00 M, starting from rest.

Homework Equations

E Fx = 400 cos (35.2) - mK Fn = 300 (a)

E Fy = Fn - Fmg - 400 sin (35.2)

The Attempt at a Solution

A= -3.83 m/s2

4m = (1/2) (-3.83) (t^2)

t= 1.44s

This is what I have so far... I don't know if its correct?? Can someone help me out and check it? Thanks!

This equation looks funny to me.. can you elaborate on how you got this?

[Edit]

I forgot to mention this, but on these type of problems, it is essential that you draw a free body diagram. Scan and attach one if you drew it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I substituted arranged the E Fy to solve for FN and then substituted that in for the FN in my Efx equation that I have listed up top.

Thanks for the help! I don't have a scanner to put my sketch on but I have the applied force coming in from the left side from above the block at an angle of 30 degrees below horizontal, the normal force going up from the box and the Fgrav headed down. The last force I ID'd was the F kf going to the left from the box.

Related to Kinetic Friction of shoved box of books

1. What is Kinetic Friction?

Kinetic friction is the force that resists the motion of an object when it is moving against another surface. It is caused by the microscopic irregularities between the surfaces, which create a resistance to the object's motion.

2. How is Kinetic Friction calculated?

Kinetic friction can be calculated using the formula: Fk = μkN, where Fk is the force of kinetic friction, μk is the coefficient of kinetic friction, and N is the normal force between the surfaces. The coefficient of kinetic friction is a constant value that depends on the materials and surfaces in contact.

3. What factors affect the amount of Kinetic Friction?

The amount of kinetic friction depends on the coefficient of friction, the normal force, and the roughness of the surfaces. The type of materials, the speed of the object, and the temperature can also affect the amount of kinetic friction.

4. How does Kinetic Friction differ from Static Friction?

Kinetic friction is the resistance to motion when an object is already in motion, while static friction is the resistance to motion when an object is at rest. The coefficient of static friction is typically higher than the coefficient of kinetic friction, meaning it takes more force to overcome static friction and start the object's motion.

5. Can Kinetic Friction be reduced?

Yes, kinetic friction can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between the surfaces in contact. Lubricants can fill in the microscopic irregularities and reduce the resistance to motion. However, the coefficient of friction can never be reduced to zero, as there will always be some resistance between the surfaces.