Kinetic Gas Theory Calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses a question involving momentum and force, where the answer to part (c) is found by dividing the answer to part (b) by the answer to part (a). The extension question is also discussed, with the answer being 1.4 times the answer to part (e), which is calculated using the given information. The person expressing their doubts and asks for clarification on the calculations.
Jimmy87

Homework Statement

Questions are attached to this thread.

Homework Equations

P =mv (P is momentum)
P = F/A (P is pressure)
F = deltaP/delta t (P is momentum)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have managed to do questions a-e which I was very happy with but then moving onto the extension has made me doubt everything despite having the correct answers. The answer to (a) is simply distance/speed = 1m/500m/s = 0.002s. (b) involves calculating the change in momentum as 2mv = 5 x 10^-23. (c) involves finding the average force which is answer to part b divided by answer to part a which gives 2.5 x 10^-20 N. All of these answers are correct as the answers are in the back of the book. However, looking back at it I don't understand why part (c) can be correct. The rate of change of momentum (force) is the change in momentum divided by the time taken for the momentum to change. The time in part (a) is not this time. Part (a) is the time between the two opposite walls. Surely the time you need for part (c) needs to be the time it takes for the momentum to change by 2mv which is the time it is in contact with the wall for? The answer to the extension is 150kPa. I got an answer to part (e) of 104kPa so factor is roughly 1.4 but I can't see where that comes from. An increase from 500 m/s to 600m/s is a factor of 1.2. The only thing I can think of is if the speed increases by a factor of 1.2 then the time will decrease by a factor of 1.2 giving an increase in pressure of 1.4? I doubt myself with this because when you double the velocity of an object the momentum doubles not quadruples?

Thanks for any help offered!

Attachments

• Kinetic Theory of Gases Questions.docx
    708.1 KB · Views: 159
Physics news on Phys.org
Why not show us what you did for part e) and use your answers to a-d. Then we might be able to help you.

Keep in mind that you cannot have all the molecules traveling in a direction perpendicular to x moving in the same direction at any given time. The reason ##\bar{F} = \Delta p/\Delta t = 2mv/\Delta t## where ##\Delta t = .002 sec## is that you are determining the average rate of change of momentum per molecule.

AM

Last edited:
Likes Jimmy87

What is the Kinetic Gas Theory?

The Kinetic Gas Theory is a scientific model used to describe the behavior and properties of gases at a microscopic level. It states that gas particles are in constant, random motion and their kinetic energy determines the pressure, temperature, and volume of the gas.

What are the assumptions of the Kinetic Gas Theory?

There are five main assumptions of the Kinetic Gas Theory: 1) Gas particles are in constant, random motion, 2) Gas particles have negligible volume, 3) Gas particles do not exert attractive or repulsive forces on each other, 4) The average kinetic energy of gas particles is directly proportional to the temperature, and 5) Collisions between gas particles and with the walls of the container are elastic.

What is the ideal gas law and how is it related to the Kinetic Gas Theory?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is derived from the Kinetic Gas Theory and assumes that gas particles follow the five assumptions. The equation is PV = nRT, where P is pressure, V is volume, n is number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is temperature.

How are the properties of gases calculated using the Kinetic Gas Theory?

The Kinetic Gas Theory can be used to calculate the pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas by using the ideal gas law. It can also be used to calculate the average kinetic energy and root-mean-square speed of gas particles. Additionally, the theory can explain the relationship between pressure and volume (Boyle's Law), pressure and temperature (Charles's Law), and volume and temperature (Gay-Lussac's Law).

What are some limitations of the Kinetic Gas Theory?

The Kinetic Gas Theory is based on ideal gas behavior, which does not accurately describe real gases at high pressures or low temperatures. Additionally, some gases, such as polar molecules, do have intermolecular forces that cannot be accounted for in the theory. Finally, the theory does not take into account the size and shape of gas particles, which can affect their behavior.